Area of a Hyperboloid in a Sphere: Calculating the Integral

• Thread starter LostInSpace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, we have a problem finding the area of a hyperboloid within a sphere with the radius 2, where the hyperboloid and the sphere intersect at \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}} and the intersecting curve is a circle with the radius \sqrt{\frac{5}{2}}. The hyperboloid can be defined by the given formulae, where the limits for t are -\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}} \le t \le \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}} and the limits for \varphi are 0 \le \varphi < 2\pi. The area can be calculated using the integral of the cross product of the derivatives of t and \varphi over
LostInSpace
Hi! I'm supposed to find the area of a hyperboloid within a sphere with the radius 2. The hyperboloid and the sphere intersect at [tex]\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex] and the intersecting curve is a circle with the radius [tex]\sqrt{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]. The hyperboloid is defined as
[tex]
\left\lbrace\begin{array}{lcl}
x &=& \sqrt{1+t^2}\cos\varphi \\
y &=& \sqrt{1+t^2}\sin\varphi \\
z &=& t
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]
where [tex]-\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}} \le t \le \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex] and [tex]0 \le \varphi < 2\pi[/tex]. The area is given by the integral of the crossproduct of the derivates of t and [tex]\varphi[/tex]over an area:
[tex]
A = \iint_{\Omega}\left|\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\times\frac{\partial f}{\partial\varphi}\right|\mathrm{d}t\mathrm{d}\varphi
[/tex]

Which yields
[tex]
A = \iint_{\Omega}\sqrt{2t^2 + 1}\mathrm{d}u\mathrm{d}t = 2\pi\int_a^b\sqrt{2t^2 + 1}\mathrm{d}t
[/tex]
where a and b are the limits of t.

Is this correct? Then what? How can I calculate the final integral?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your formulae are correct. Check up hyperbolic identities..

Ok... I was thinking about something like this as well:

The hyperboloid can be defined as
[tex]
\lbrace (x,y,z) \mid x^2 + y^2 - z^2 = 1 \rbrace
[/tex]

This set can be approximated by cylinders as
[tex]
\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\bigcup_{i=0}^n \lbrace (x,y) \mid x^2 + y^2 = 1 + z_i^2, z_i \le z \le z_i + \Delta z \rbrace
[/tex]

The area of each cylinder is [tex]2\pi\sqrt{1+z_i^2}\Delta z[/tex], so
[tex]
A = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}2\pi\sum_{i=0}^n\sqrt{1+z_i^2}\Delta z = 2\pi\int_a^b\sqrt{z^2 + 1}\mathrm{d}t
[/tex]

This is roughly the same, but roughly isn't very good... is this wrong?

Thanks in advance!

It's wrong, because the side of your "cylinder" is slightly curved, that's why you get a different area element.

Are you sure about this? The height of the cylinder [tex]\Delta z \rightarrow 0[/tex], so the curve shouldn't be any problem. Or should it?

Anyway, I assume you are right, but I just wanted to test this. But how do you integrate
[tex]
\int_a^b \sqrt{2t^2+1}\mathrm{d}t
[/tex]

I tried to set [tex]t = \sinh s \Rightarrow \mathrm{d}t = \cosh s\mathrm{d}s[/tex]:
[tex]
\int_a^b 2\pi\sqrt{\mathrm{2\sinh^2 s + 1}}\cosh s\mathrm{d}s = 2\pi\int_a^b \sqrt{\cosh 2s}\cosh s\mathrm{d}s
[/tex]

I honestly can't get any further! Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Hmm, I thought about that myself today, so I went back to your first post, but at the moment, I can't figure out why your answers differ.
As to the integration, simply set u=sqrt(2)*t, and later on substitute u=sinh(s).

I've got it: In your cylindrical approach, you basically use the tangent vectors:
T1=sqrt(1+z^(2))(-sin(w),cos(w),0), T2=(0,0,1).
But T2 is NOT a tangent vector to the surface area!
(T1 is, though)
The true tangent vector makes an angle cos(a)=sqrt((1+z^(2))/(1+2z^(2))) to the vertical.
We then have that the proper area element dA fulfill the relation:
dAcos(a)=dS,
where dS is the cylinder area element (having the vertical as a tangent)

1. What is a hyperboloid in a sphere?

A hyperboloid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a curved vase or hourglass. In this case, it is a hyperboloid that is enclosed within a sphere, meaning it is contained within the surface of a sphere.

2. Why is calculating the integral important when finding the area of a hyperboloid in a sphere?

The integral is used to find the area of a hyperboloid in a sphere because it allows us to take into account the varying curvature of the surface. The integral essentially sums up infinitely many small areas to give us the total area of the hyperboloid in the sphere.

3. What is the formula for calculating the integral for the area of a hyperboloid in a sphere?

The formula for the integral to find the area of a hyperboloid in a sphere is:
A = 2π∫r1r2 f(r)√(1 + (f'(r))2) dr
Where r1 and r2 are the radii of the sphere, f(r) is the equation of the hyperboloid, and f'(r) is the derivative of f(r).

4. Can the integral be solved using any method?

Yes, the integral can be solved using various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals. The method used will depend on the complexity of the hyperboloid's equation and the preference of the person solving the integral.

5. Are there any practical applications of calculating the area of a hyperboloid in a sphere?

Yes, calculating the area of a hyperboloid in a sphere is important in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to determine the surface area of a cooling tower, which is a type of hyperboloid structure used in power plants. It can also be used in astrophysics to calculate the surface area of celestial bodies that have a hyperboloid shape.