Series and Parallel Circuit Problem

In summary, a series circuit has components connected in a single loop, while a parallel circuit has multiple branches with components connected separately. The total resistance in a series circuit is the sum of individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit it is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of individual resistances. The current in a series circuit is the same throughout, while in a parallel circuit it is divided based on resistance. In a series circuit, voltage is divided based on resistance, while in a parallel circuit it is the same across all components. Series circuits are used for devices that require a specific voltage, while parallel circuits are used for devices that require a specific current. Both circuit types conserve energy and prevent overloading of components.
moonlit
I have a problem that I'm working on, not sure what equation to use for this:

The current in a 54 ohm resistor is 0.13 A. This resistor is in series with a 23 ohm resistor, and the series combination is connected across a battery. What is the battery voltage?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Kirkhoff's voltage law (loop: resistor1 - resistor2 - battery) and Ohm's law (V = IR).

Ok, I got the answer correct. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

A series circuit has all components connected in a single loop, while a parallel circuit has multiple branches with components connected separately.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of individual resistances.

3. What happens to the current in a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the current is divided between the different branches based on their resistance.

4. How do I calculate the voltage across each component in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided between the different components based on their resistance. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across all components.

5. What is the purpose of using series and parallel circuits?

Series circuits are used for devices that require a specific voltage to function, while parallel circuits are used for devices that require a specific current to function. Both circuit types are also used to conserve energy and prevent overloading of components.