What really matters in problem solving?

• Thread starter Ebolamonk3y
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of the answer versus the process in problem solving, particularly in mathematics. While some believe that the answer is the ultimate goal, others argue that the process and understanding the steps leading to the answer are equally important. The conversation also touches on the different priorities of teachers and students, and the role of examples in understanding concepts. Additionally, the conversation mentions the concept of Advanced Placement (AP) courses, which are college level courses that can be taken in high school.
Ebolamonk3y
I want an honest opinion of this... so...

What matters more?

The answer or the process leading up to it?

For those who know Feynman or Ramanujan... you know their magician abilities...

Yet some people, especially teachers or AP exams, love for you to show everything, the work, and the answer is worth everybit as much as the process leading up to it...

So I wonder... Is the work a delusion? Some just keep solving problems without an answer... And the worse is when there is no "answer in the back of the book" that leaves one to doubt their "work" and "steps" and, the demon of all, "arithemtic mistakes." Yet, in the end, we get an answer or we get nothing... time passes, an answer, time passes, an answer or bunch of paper gone...

So...some can get lost in the little stuff and never come out of the mess... then what? is that really problem solving or just another pass time activity that yields nothing?

Ponder about that...

LOL, for me, if I just start cranking out Integrals in my head or with some weird method, I be a little scared...

Maybe not...

Chang

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Teachers of courses of the level I presume you are talking about (what is AP, apart from associated press?) have a different set of interests than Feynman et all and the level of maths there. Up to a certain point arithmetic is what counts as you're doing things which one day, as an engineer say, will be needed with accurate answers.

At the end of those courses where there is book work, and perhaps even calculator's are needed, the answer is important, you're learning to crank a handle, set up the model, solve it, and realize if the answer you've got is plausible. Important life skills.

If you're at the point where doing integrals is still important then you aren't doing pure maths of Ramunajan (which isnt' to say they aren't important but that solving them is dull). I haven't had to actually do an integral in the last 6 years and I'm a working mathematician (well, right now I'm a buggering around not working PhD student). And let's face it in applied if you're doing an integral chances are you've cranked up a computer to do it for you cos it's a little tricky.

You need to demonstrate that you've grasped the basics, and if you're good at the level of abstraction that occurs later chances are that you can do the bookwork in your sleep anyway.

A very common problem (scarily if you ask me, cos I wonder what some teachers actually do) is for people to say 'I understand the product rule, honest, but I can't differentiate xcos(x)sin(x)' so you see they don't actually understand something very important (not the product rule, I mean), so the examples can be useful for seeing where people aren't thinking clearly.

It depends upon the question and the reason you are asking it!

If I have a question that I need an answer to NOW and will never need to answer again (what needs to be done to fix my car?) then the answer is important- I'll hire someone who knows how to do it and not worry about how they do it. If the only reason you are asking the question is to learn how to answer similar questions (i.e. homework questions), then it is the process that is important, not the answer itself. I suspect most questions fall somewhere between.

(Of course, if you are asking this in order to be able to say to your teacher "See, I was using the right process, you shouldn't mark it wrong just because I made a silly mistake"- one thing you are trying to learn is: Don't make silly mistakes! Your teacher is helping you learn that.)

(One reason for silly little mistakes is not paying close enough attention- which is due to not caring enough about what you are doing.)

Matt,
AP- Advanced Placement. They're "college level" courses you can take in high school. Now you know :)
Rachel

AP is introductory college level. It's comparable (or at least it's supposed to be) to taking the beginning level class of the subject. Like AP Physics = Physics 101.

cookiemonster

****, I can't get anything right around here ;)

You certainly weren't wrong! I just didn't think you were specific enough...

cookiemonster

Exactly ;)

AP=work with Tensors...

1. What factors contribute to what matters the most in life?

The answer to this question may vary from person to person. Some may prioritize family, relationships, career success, personal growth, or happiness. Ultimately, what matters most is subjective and dependent on individual values and beliefs.

2. How do our values and beliefs affect what we consider to be important in life?

Our values and beliefs play a significant role in shaping what we prioritize and consider to be important in life. They act as a guide for our actions and decisions, and ultimately influence what we deem as meaningful and valuable.

3. Can what matters most change over time?

Yes, what matters most can change as we grow and experience new things. Our priorities and values may shift as we encounter different life events and circumstances. What matters most at one point in our lives may not be the same in the future.

4. How do societal norms and expectations impact what we consider to be important in life?

Society and cultural norms can heavily influence our perceptions of what matters most. We may feel pressure to conform to societal expectations and prioritize certain things, such as wealth or success, even if they do not align with our personal values.

5. Is it possible to find a universal answer to what matters most in life?

It is unlikely that there is a single universal answer to what matters most in life. As individuals, we all have unique experiences, values, and beliefs that shape our perspectives. What matters most is subjective and can vary greatly from person to person.