Cost-effective design for fencing and partitioning a rectangular ranch field?

In summary, the conversation discusses two similar homework assignments involving fencing in rectangular fields and dividing them with a partition. The first question involves finding the shortest length of fence for an area of 1,900,000 square feet, while the second question involves finding the cheapest design for an area of 460 square feet. The conversation includes equations and functions for determining the dimensions and cost of the fence, and encourages the use of derivatives to find minimum points.
mayo2kett
hi i have two homework assignment I'm kinda stuck on they are very similar i was hoping someone could help me...

1) A rancher wants to fence in an area of 1,900,000 square feet in a rectangular field and then divide it in half with a fence down the middle parallel to one side. What is the shortest length of fence that the rancher can use?

2) A rancher wants to fence in an area of 460 square feet in a rectangular field using fencing material costing 1.5 dollars per foot, and then divide it in half down the middle with a partition, parallel to one side, constructed from material costing 0.4 dollars per foot.
Assuming that the partition is parallel to the side which gives the width of the field, find the dimensions of the field of the cheapest design.
Length=
Width=
What is the (total) cost of the cheapest design?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Let A be one side of the rectangular fence and B be the other side. Since the area of the fence must be 1,900,000 square feet, we can relate A and B like this:

B = 1,900,000/A

Now write down the function for the total length of the fence:

f(A) = 3A + 2B = 3A + 3,800,000/A

Find the derivative of that function, see where it has a minimum and find the value of the function in that minimum point.

2) Very similar problem. Again we will use W for width and L for length and relate them like so:

L = 360/W

The function for the total cost of the fence is:

f(W) = 2*1.5*W + 2*1.5*L + 0.4*W = 3.4W + 1080/W

Again find the derivative of that function, see where it has a minimum and find the value of the function in that minimum point.

for question one i did:
f(A)'=3-(3800000/A^2)
A=1125.46
is this shortest side? i wasn't sure where to go from here

for the second question i have:
f(w)'=3.04-(1380/w^2)
and w=21.306
so then i put the 21.306 into the original equation l=460/w=460/21.306=21.590
at this point I'm not sure what the l and the w stand for, are they the length or the sides of the fence or are they the cost of each side since we added in the cost of the different types of fencing??

1) You found A, how does it relate to B? Find B and see which of them is smaller.

2) L and W represent the length of the width and length of our fence. The cost was added in the f(W) function (the $1.5, $1.5 and $0.4 coefficient).

1. What is optimization?

Optimization is the process of finding the best solution to a problem that satisfies specific criteria. It involves maximizing or minimizing a certain objective function by systematically adjusting variables within a given set of constraints.

2. Why is optimization important?

Optimization plays a crucial role in various fields such as engineering, economics, computer science, and biology. It allows us to make informed decisions and improve efficiency by finding the most optimal solution to a problem. It also helps in resource management and cost reduction.

3. What are the different types of optimization?

There are several types of optimization techniques, including linear programming, nonlinear programming, integer programming, dynamic programming, and metaheuristic algorithms. Each type has its own set of applications and is suitable for different types of problems.

4. How is optimization used in real-world applications?

Optimization is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as supply chain management, financial planning, traffic control, and product design. It helps in decision-making, resource allocation, and process improvement. For example, companies use optimization to minimize production costs and maximize profits.

5. What are the challenges in optimization?

One of the main challenges in optimization is the complexity of problems, especially when dealing with a large number of variables and constraints. It also requires a good understanding of the problem and its underlying mathematical model. Additionally, finding the global optimum can be difficult in some cases, and it may require the use of advanced techniques.