Unanswered Questions Surrounding Time Travel Possibilities

In summary, this argument holds that because time is determined by the movement of particulate energy, it is possible to travel through time, but only within the bounds of time-travel existence.
aychamo
Hey guys

I have a quick time travel question. Some people say that we will never be able to travel in time because if we were able to then someone would have already traveled back in time to tell us that it is indeed possible. They say that since this has not happened, then we will never travel in time.

Personally, I think this is poor logic, but it raises a question. It is hard for me to put it into words. Like, say I invented a time machine and travled to the 60s and met Lennon before the Beatles were famous, that would be possible because the 60s have already passed. We are at the leading edge of time. I guess what I'm saying is how do we know that whatever is about to happen has not already happened?

Like whatever happens next is unknown. If there exists a future in front of us, wouldn't that get rid of our "free will"? Like if there is a future that has already passed that contains a time when a time machine is invented, that means that whatever happens immediately next in my life has already passed and I have no control over.

Or it means that our present has already passed. How do we know that we are the first time through whatever has happened?

Argh, this is hard to write. Like, if we use the argument at the beginning of this post, how can we know that there even is a future, that we aren't the first set of whatever to pass through this time. We may be the future that indeed invents the time machine. Do you see what I'm saying?

Physics news on Phys.org
Time is determined by the movement of particulate energy.
Energy takes an amount of time to move, once it has moved that's it time has elapsed and the energy will move again.

To go backwards in time you would have arrange all the energy into the position it was in at the moment in time you wanted to travel to, but it would not be the past, it would be now with the appearance of the past.
If once you had created this past time you did something to change what happened originally, when you rearranged all the energy again for your present time there would be no record of what you did because you didn't do it then, you did it now.

The same is true of the future. You could only create an appearance of the future.

I hope that makes sense.

Originally posted by aychamo
Some people say that we will never be able to travel in time

I´m traveling in time every day!=)

Oh, the paradoxes of time travel!

his bit of reasoning:

Originally posted by aychamo
Hey guys

I have a quick time travel question. Some people say that we will never be able to travel in time because if we were able to then someone would have already traveled back in time to tell us that it is indeed possible. They say that since this has not happened, then we will never travel in time.
Has some validity to it, but only limits the possible range of time-travel. If we were to accept this as correct, it would mean that we will only be able to travel through those areas of time in which time-travel exists. Many schemes of time-travel make use of a sending and a receiving station. So one could only travel into the past as far as the invention of the time machine, or there would be no reciever to rematerialize the traveler.

But let's look at this:
Personally, I think this is poor logic, but it raises a question. It is hard for me to put it into words. Like, say I invented a time machine and travled to the 60s and met Lennon before the Beatles were famous, that would be possible because the 60s have already passed.
Try reversing your point of view. If you were in the '60s, you would still see yourself as being at the "present", and nobody from the 21st cantury coul;d visit you because the 21st century does not yet exist. So this statement:
We are at the leading edge of time.
Holds equally true for somone in what we call "the past" as it does for us. To a traveller from the future, this decade has already passed.

What is time travel?

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time, either forwards or backwards, in a manner analogous to moving between different points in space.

Is time travel possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of time travel. While time dilation and other theories have been explored, there is no known method for physically traveling through time.

What are the possible consequences of time travel?

If time travel were possible, the consequences could be vast and unpredictable. It could potentially create paradoxes, alter the course of history, or cause changes to the fabric of reality.

Can we ever achieve time travel?

As of now, time travel remains a theoretical concept and there is no known way to achieve it. However, as technology and scientific understanding continue to advance, it is possible that we may one day discover a way to manipulate time.

What are some popular depictions of time travel in science fiction?

Some popular depictions of time travel in science fiction include the DeLorean time machine in Back to the Future, the TARDIS in Doctor Who, and the Time-Turner in Harry Potter. These depictions often involve traveling through time by using advanced technology or magic.