What Angle Should a Cannon Be Set to Hit a Target 400m Away and 30m Above?

In summary, the angle at which the cannon must point in order to hit a 400m away target and 30m above the ground is 30 degrees.
Superman2
A cannon that shoots projectiles at 100m/s must hit a target 400m away and 30m above the ground. What angle must the cannon point at in order to hit the target?
I have two functions:
x = V*cos(theta)*t, where V = initial velocity, and
y=V*sin(theta)*t - (g*t^2)/2 where g = gravity's acceleration
but i can't solve for theta.
can somebody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you solve for theta?

Since you are trying to hit a target 400 m away with initial speed 100 m/s, the horizontal equation, x = V*cos(theta)*t, becomes
400= 100 cos(theta)t or t= 40/cos(theta).

Since the height of the target is 30 m above the ground (which, I assume, is the height of the cannon), the vertical equation,
y=V*sin(theta)*t - (g*t^2)/2, becomes 30= 100 sin(theta) t- (g t<sup>2</sup>)/2. Now using t= 40/cos(theta), we can write that as 30= 4000 (sin(theta)/cos(theta))- 800g/cos<sup>2</sup>(theta).

Multiplying both sides by cos<sup>2</sup>(theta),
30 cos<sup>2</sup>(theta)= 4000 sin(theta)cos(theta)- 800g

That's a little complicated but can be solved.

thanks

cool i solved it, it was pretty damn long

hmm

great :) this kinda answeres the first part of my question earlier...

er

:| just one question... the variable t in that equation is time... correct?

hmm

ok... well this kind of explains a few things about designing the trajectory of a bullet fired from a weapon at a given angle. let me see if i have this right.
If a bullet is fired at a specific angle and muzzle velocity then it would be at point x and y which can be derived from the equations at time t right?

like if V = 1200 m/s and angle of fire is 60* then the bullet would be at point (12000, 18824) right?

The solutions in the beginnins solve different stuff including t i think.

in the last solution, if the bullet initial velocity is 1000m/s and the target is at point (3000, 4000) then, the equation solves the firing angle.

Its a little hard to explain what it does but here's a tip. read it over 3-4 times and ull prob get it.

so basically it solves for theta in the equations x = (Vx)t, and
y = (Vy)t + (1/2)at^2

so first it solves algebraicaly for t in the first equation which becomes t = x / (Vx), which is 3000m/Vx or 3000m/(1000cos(theta))

then it substitutes it for t in the second equation in the third line of the solution.
then it reduces it in the fourth line, then multiplies both sides by cos^2(theta)
then it reduces again which results in the fifth line and then
substitutes sin(theta) for sqrt(1 - cos^2(theta))
then after squaring both sides and reducing the equation becomes a second degree one like ax^2 + bx + c = 0 , where x is cos^2(theta)
then it uses the quadric formula
x = ( -b -+ sqrt(b^2 - 4ac) ) / (2a) to find cos^2(theta) then from there its easy it find the square root of the answer and then finds the cos-1 of the answer to find theta;
lol that's long, a friend told me there's a much easier way in advanced physics school books.

Last edited:

1. What is the angle of release?

The angle of release is the angle at which an object is launched or thrown from a certain point.

2. How is the angle of release calculated?

The angle of release can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, along with the distance and height of the object.

3. Why is the angle of release important?

The angle of release is important because it can affect the trajectory and distance of the object. Finding the optimal angle of release can result in the maximum distance or height reached by the object.

4. What factors can affect the angle of release?

The angle of release can be affected by the initial velocity of the object, the gravitational force, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the object.

5. Can the angle of release be changed after the object is launched?

No, once the object is launched, the angle of release cannot be changed. However, the object's trajectory and angle of descent can be affected by external forces.