Calculating Velocity of 6000 lb Truck Around 650 ft Curve

• Thread starter cowgiljl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centripetal
In summary: So I'm guessing the first answer is the right one.In summary, based on the given information and using the formulas F=ma and Ff = m*(v^2/r), the correct velocity for the truck going around a curve with a radius of 650 ft and a weight of 6000 lbs while being subject to a maximum friction force of 1125 lbs is 62.65 ft/sec. However, there may be a mistake in the units used, as the conversion to metric results in a different velocity.
cowgiljl
Truck weighs 6000 lbs The truck is going around a curve with a radius of 650 ft. The max friction force the road can exert is 1125 lbs.Its velocity needs to be calculated ft/sec.

Now I now F=ma and Ff = m*(v^2/r)
I also now that 1 pound = 4.448 N

problem is i have 3 different answers by trying it different ways

a) v = 62.6 ft/sec
b) v = 11.04 ft/sec
c) v = 58.88 ft/sec

Which one is the right one

This is the final problem I have to do before i have to turn in my physics notebook and take my final exam today at 9 am

any assistance would be great

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
B) is correct
i don't know how u reached the other results Pls show it

I think there is a mistake in dimension somewhere in there. Actually, the frictional force must be converted to Newtons and the weight of the truck must be converted to kg. Then, you can use [

f = ma
f = v^2 / r

(1125 lbs)*(4.448 N/lbs) = [(6000 lbs * 4.448 N/lbs)/9.81 m/s^2]*v^2/r

You will get around 34 ft/sec.

B is correct harsh u are given max frictional force why u are dividing by 9.81

Actually, the frictional force must be converted to Newtons and the weight of the truck must be converted to kg.

Why? You are given all the information in the "English" system and asked for the result in the "English" system. F= ma and F= mv2/r are true in any system. Why convert to metric?

Right, but then you don't really get the correct units.
Its like you are canceling pounds over pounds, so the left side of the equation is unitless.

The max friction force the road can exert is 1125 lbs

It should be 1125lbs m/s^2

Originally posted by cowgiljl
Truck weighs 6000 lbs The truck is going around a curve with a radius of 650 ft. The max friction force the road can exert is 1125 lbs.Its velocity needs to be calculated ft/sec.

Now I now F=ma and Ff = m*(v^2/r)
I also now that 1 pound = 4.448 N

problem is i have 3 different answers by trying it different ways

a) v = 62.6 ft/sec
b) v = 11.04 ft/sec
c) v = 58.88 ft/sec

Which one is the right one

I'm getting the first answer. I've never actually used the imperial system before; it's just weird.

[tex]F = \frac {mv^2}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {Fr}{m} = v^2[/tex]

we have to find the mass of the thing. divide the weight by the acceleration to get the mass.

[tex]m = \frac {F}{a}[/tex]

[tex]m = \frac {6000}{32.2}[/tex]

[tex]m = 186.3[/tex] i think that's in slugs

now back to the other formula

[tex]v = \sqrt {\frac {Fr}{m}}[/tex]

[tex]v = \sqrt {\frac {(1125)(650)}{186.3}}[/tex]

[tex]v = 62.65[/tex]

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a 6000 lb truck around a 650 ft curve?

To calculate the velocity of a truck, we need to use the formula v = √(g * r * tanθ), where v is the velocity, g is the gravitational acceleration (32.2 ft/s²), r is the radius of the curve (650 ft), and θ is the angle of the curve. We also need to convert the weight of the truck from pounds to mass in kilograms, which is done by dividing the weight by 2.2.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the velocity of a truck?

The unit of measurement for velocity is feet per second (ft/s).

3. Can the velocity of a truck be affected by its weight?

Yes, the weight of a truck can affect its velocity around a curve. The heavier the truck, the more force it will require to maintain its speed and direction, resulting in a lower velocity.

4. Is it important to consider the angle of the curve when calculating the velocity of a truck?

Yes, the angle of the curve is a crucial factor in calculating the velocity of a truck. A sharper curve will require a lower velocity to maintain the truck's stability, while a wider curve will allow for a higher velocity.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when calculating the velocity of a truck around a curve?

Yes, it is essential to consider the speed limit and road conditions when calculating the velocity of a truck around a curve. It is also important to ensure that the truck is properly maintained and loaded, as these factors can also affect its velocity and stability on the road.