Facebook Page
Twitter
RSS
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks
    848 times
    Thanked
    308 times
    #1
    From now on, I will not post questions from each chapter of the precalculus textbook. I realize now that this site is not for that purpose. I will only post questions from the textbook that are interestingly hard.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. Pessimist Singularitarian
    MHB Coder
    MHB Math Helper
    MHB Ambassador
    MarkFL's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    13,311
    Thanks
    34,279 times
    Thanked
    31,687 times
    Thank/Post
    2.381
    Trophies
    25 Highscores
    Awards
    MHB Chat Room Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Pre-University Math Award (2017)  

MHB Statistics Award (2016)  

MHB Calculus Award (2016)
    #2
    If you have a question about any exercise in your textbook, or any question arising from your studies, please feel free to post.

  4. Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks
    848 times
    Thanked
    308 times
    #3 Thread Author
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    If you have a question about any exercise in your textbook, or any question arising from your studies, please feel free to post.
    Thank you. I am going to continue my self-study of precalculus. I love my David Cohen textbook. I never get tired of the questions.

    Like I said in another post, I took precalculus in the Spring 1993 semester at Lehman College and got an A minus. Of course, it has been many years since the last time I was part of a formal classroom setting.

  5. Pessimist Singularitarian
    MHB Coder
    MHB Math Helper
    MHB Ambassador
    MarkFL's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    13,311
    Thanks
    34,279 times
    Thanked
    31,687 times
    Thank/Post
    2.381
    Trophies
    25 Highscores
    Awards
    MHB Chat Room Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Pre-University Math Award (2017)  

MHB Statistics Award (2016)  

MHB Calculus Award (2016)
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RTCNTC View Post
    Thank you. I am going to continue my self-study of precalculus. I love my David Cohen textbook. I never get tired of the questions.

    Like I said in another post, I took precalculus in the Spring 1993 semester at Lehman College and got an A minus. Of course, it has been many years since the last time I was part of a formal classroom setting.
    It's been 20 years since I was in a classroom. Thirteen years later I got into the online math help scene. But during that thirteen years, I kept myself active with math by formalizing my thoughts in a journal. I felt the best way to strengthen my understanding would be to investigate theorems and try to fluff them out as fully as I could, as if I was writing for a critical audience.

    Then I got involved in math help forums, and eventually wound up here, where I found a site that matches my needs and has a philosophy of helping by engaging the student. I found naturally that helping others is the best way to help myself.

    You will find that there are many folks here (many/most of which know a great deal more about mathematics than I do) who are quite happy and willing to enrich the understanding of others, particularly those who are motivated to learn.

    So, my recommendation to anyone seeking to really learn material is to take given problems and generalize them as much as possible, and then investigate the behavior of the formulas at the boundaries. That's what I tried to do as a student, especially in physics. Once you can derive a formula from basic concepts, then you truly own it.

  6. Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks
    848 times
    Thanked
    308 times
    #5 Thread Author
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    It's been 20 years since I was in a classroom. Thirteen years later I got into the online math help scene. But during that thirteen years, I kept myself active with math by formalizing my thoughts in a journal. I felt the best way to strengthen my understanding would be to investigate theorems and try to fluff them out as fully as I could, as if I was writing for a critical audience.

    Then I got involved in math help forums, and eventually wound up here, where I found a site that matches my needs and has a philosophy of helping by engaging the student. I found naturally that helping others is the best way to help myself.

    You will find that there are many folks here (many/most of which know a great deal more about mathematics than I do) who are quite happy and willing to enrich the understanding of others, particularly those who are motivated to learn.

    So, my recommendation to anyone seeking to really learn material is to take given problems and generalize them as much as possible, and then investigate the behavior of the formulas at the boundaries. That's what I tried to do as a student, especially in physics. Once you can derive a formula from basic concepts, then you truly own it.
    Questions

    1. What is the best way to avoid forgetting what I've learned? I find that as I study math on my own, by the time I am a few chapters into the textbook, I have forgotten most of the early chapters.

    2. What is your favorite math course and why?

    3. What about a math video clip reply to questions on a small white board for this site?

  7. Pessimist Singularitarian
    MHB Coder
    MHB Math Helper
    MHB Ambassador
    MarkFL's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    13,311
    Thanks
    34,279 times
    Thanked
    31,687 times
    Thank/Post
    2.381
    Trophies
    25 Highscores
    Awards
    MHB Chat Room Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Pre-University Math Award (2017)  

MHB Statistics Award (2016)  

MHB Calculus Award (2016)
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RTCNTC View Post
    Questions

    1. What is the best way to avoid forgetting what I've learned? I find that as I study math on my own, by the time I am a few chapters into the textbook, I have forgotten most of the early chapters.
    Learn to derive the theorems presented on your own...once yo can do that, you are unlikely to forget them.

    Quote Originally Posted by RTCNTC View Post
    2. What is your favorite math course and why?
    Ordinary differential equations, because it tied together all I had studied up to that point. At that point I realized I could really figure out a great deal of problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by RTCNTC View Post
    3. What about a math video clip reply to questions on a small white board for this site?
    That night be possible...where would you suggest this be posted?

  8. Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks
    848 times
    Thanked
    308 times
    #7 Thread Author
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    Learn to derive the theorems presented on your own...once yo can do that, you are unlikely to forget them.



    Ordinary differential equations, because it tied together all I had studied up to that point. At that point I realized I could really figure out a great deal of problems.



    That night be possible...where would you suggest this be posted?
    This site is divided into several areas of math: Precalculus, Calculus, Geometry, etc. Why not include a video section reply forum? You like ordinary differential equations. What is partial differential equations? What is the toughest math course you have ever taken? What made it hard for you?

  9. Pessimist Singularitarian
    MHB Coder
    MHB Math Helper
    MHB Ambassador
    MarkFL's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    13,311
    Thanks
    34,279 times
    Thanked
    31,687 times
    Thank/Post
    2.381
    Trophies
    25 Highscores
    Awards
    MHB Chat Room Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Pre-University Math Award (2017)  

MHB Statistics Award (2016)  

MHB Calculus Award (2016)
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RTCNTC View Post
    This site is divided into several areas of math: Precalculus, Calculus, Geometry, etc. Why not include a video section reply forum?
    In my opinion, responses to videos should be in the relevant topic forum. We could have a whiteboard response area, but what would really be the advantage to a traditional reply to a posted video? I mean we already have $LateX$, embedded graphs and TikZ images...what more could be offered?

    Quote Originally Posted by RTCNTC View Post
    You like ordinary differential equations. What is partial differential equations? What is the toughest math course you have ever taken? What made it hard for you?
    I got all A's is every university level class I took...the only difficulty was to devote the time. The greatest difficulty in providing help was in those areas that I had not formally studied. I had to pull myself up by my bootstraps. I continue to learn by reading the posts of those here who are more educated than I am. I pretty much read all posts here, and so those are the great moments of education for me.

  10. Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks
    848 times
    Thanked
    308 times
    #9 Thread Author
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    In my opinion, responses to videos should be in the relevant topic forum. We could have a whiteboard response area, but what would really be the advantage to a traditional reply to a posted video? I mean we already have $LateX$, embedded graphs and TikZ images...what more could be offered?



    I got all A's is every university level class I took...the only difficulty was to devote the time. The greatest difficulty in providing help was in those areas that I had not formally studied. I had to pull myself up by my bootstraps. I continue to learn by reading the posts of those here who are more educated than I am. I pretty much read all posts here, and so those are the great moments of education for me.
    I want you to visit the link below. I think this site could become number one online if the tutors answer questions on the board.

    Visit: mathtv.com and tell me what you think.

Similar Threads

  1. Most Important Precalculus Topics
    By RTCNTC in forum Pre-Calculus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 9th, 2017, 22:07
  2. Purpose of Precalculus
    By RTCNTC in forum Pre-Calculus
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: February 9th, 2017, 01:59
  3. Simplifying- Precalculus
    By tenthfire in forum Pre-Calculus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 14th, 2014, 02:36
  4. [SOLVED] Challenge sub forum in each forum
    By mathmaniac in forum Questions, Comments, and Feedback
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2013, 04:28

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Math Help Boards