Zero Velocty is Constant Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of constant velocity and how it relates to a particle's motion. The confusion arises from the equation (x=-5) and the question of which situation results in a constant velocity. It is clarified that a velocity of 0 can also be considered constant, and the difficulty of translating mathematical statements into spoken language is acknowledged.
RyanH42

Homework Statement

In the Principles of Physics book chapter two in checkpoint 2 claims that If velocity of object is zero its a constant velocity.I am confused cause v=0 means there's no motion.Without motion we can't talk about constant velocity.I am confused.(The equation of object is (x=-5) and the exact question
The following equations give the position x(t) of a particle in four situations... a)x=-5
In which sitaution is the velocity v of the particle constant ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused.I don't know what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
The constant velocity means that [itex] \dot{v} = 0, [/itex] and so [itex] v=0 [/itex] automatically satisfy this relation. So, we can say the zero velocity is constant velocity.

Likes RyanH42
This is the difficulty of making a mathematical statement in a spoken language: it can be interpreted in the way of common phrases or implied shadings of meaning. In common speech we hear the phrase "moving with constant velocity" and think "it must be moving". This is not the case in mathematics: Zero is a perfectly good value for a constant, too.

Likes PeroK, RyanH42 and Daeho Ro
ok I understand thank you guys

Related to Zero Velocty is Constant Velocity?

1. What is zero velocity?

Zero velocity, also known as rest or stationary, refers to the state where an object is not moving at all. It has a speed of 0 meters per second and its position does not change over time.

2. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is when an object is moving in a straight line at a constant speed. This means that the object's speed and direction do not change, resulting in a straight, horizontal line on a position-time graph.

3. How is zero velocity related to constant velocity?

Zero velocity is a subset of constant velocity. When an object is at rest, it has a constant velocity of 0 meters per second. This means that it is not accelerating and its speed and direction do not change.

4. What are some real-life examples of zero velocity and constant velocity?

Examples of zero velocity include a book sitting on a table, a parked car, or a person standing still. Examples of constant velocity include a car driving on a straight road at a constant speed, a satellite orbiting the Earth at a constant speed, or a pendulum swinging back and forth at a constant speed.

5. Why is understanding zero velocity and constant velocity important in science?

Understanding these concepts is crucial in science because they are the basis for understanding motion and the laws that govern it. By understanding how objects behave at rest or in constant motion, we can make predictions and calculations about their future movements and interactions with other objects.