Zero Force Propulsion: A Futuristic Concept?

In summary: Objects in free fall experience the least amount of force because the air resistance is the only opposing force.In summary, we need to use an external force to accelerate a car, but we could negate that force by using a transit system that uses a vacuum and magnetic repulsion.
Vincit
What if we don't NEED to use any force whatsoever to propel a vehicle? What if we could negate the net external force and just keep the vehicle going with a constant velocity with the appropriate magnitude? But what could we use to propel the vehicle at any given time and not add any other force as it is moving with a constant velocity(Also, this could stop speeding:D) - as we DO need to brake on the road:P Something not hazardous to the environment, so pollution isn't a problem.. we need something particulate and with a high enough magnitude - any suggestions?

This is all seems too futuristic right now, but just an idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like your thinking outside of the box, but I don't really get your first sentence. How are you going to accelerate from a stopped position. No force = no acceleration.

Sorry i must have worded it wrong. I mean, we need to use force to accelerate the vehicle - but then we could stop the external force, thus leaving a constant velocity. there's a lot of gaps, but i think we can work through it:)

Vincit said:
Sorry i must have worded it wrong. I mean, we need to use force to accelerate the vehicle - but then we could stop the external force, thus leaving a constant velocity. there's a lot of gaps, but i think we can work through it:)

Drive in a vacuum?

I believe that it's impossible for a car to be 100% efficient, meaning that you will not be able to negate slowing forces on a car, which means you will always need some form of acceleration :(

EDIT: Or take Nabeshin's idea haha

Yes, nabeshin haha

Nabeshin said:
Drive in a vacuum?

Yup, as long as we have to deal with gravity and atmosphere, we're going to need a Force to keep constant velocity.

the question is - what is that force?

Vincit said:
That's just another way of saying Newton's First Law of motion: objects require no external force to continue motion at constant speed.

Have the vehicle travel in a tube in which there is a vacuum .. floating due to magnetic repulsion above current loop superconductors .. at the end of the trip, decelerate the vehicle with an electrical generator and Lenz's Law, so you get back some of the energy that was initially used to accelerate it.

mikelepore said:
Have the vehicle travel in a tube in which there is a vacuum .. floating due to magnetic repulsion above current loop superconductors ..
Once you reach orbital velocity you don't even need the magnetic repulsion for floating. At least, that was Heinlein's idea for a transit system on the moon.

onto something

you need a force to accelerate a mass. and for a car like transport you need to cycle slowdown and go. because you are going allover the town. a futuristic system of cars traveling on rails merging and branching had allready been tested.(powered by elctricity)
the problem with that is cost, just like those fancy magnetically lavitated trains which do have special uses but not general.

In an imaginary world completely devoid of all resistive forces it is reasonable to assume that an object can continue moving with a constant velocity without an external force.We live in the real world where friction and air resistance are present.We can reduce these forces but not to zero.When an object moves with terminal velocity there are still forces acting on it but the resultant is zero.

Last edited:

Related to Zero Force Propulsion: A Futuristic Concept?

1. What is zero force propulsion?

Zero force propulsion is a theoretical concept that involves utilizing a force that is equal to zero to generate movement or propulsion. It is based on the idea that traditional forms of propulsion, such as thrust from rocket engines, can be replaced with a force that does not require the use of fuel or external energy sources.

2. How does zero force propulsion work?

The exact mechanism for zero force propulsion is still unknown and is a topic of ongoing research. However, some proposed theories involve utilizing the principles of quantum mechanics and manipulating the fabric of space-time to generate propulsion.

3. Is zero force propulsion possible?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence that zero force propulsion is possible. While there have been some promising experiments and theoretical models, it is still considered a futuristic concept and has not been successfully demonstrated in a practical application.

4. What are the potential applications of zero force propulsion?

If zero force propulsion proves to be possible, it could have a wide range of applications, including space travel, transportation, and even energy production. It could potentially revolutionize the way we think about propulsion and could lead to faster and more efficient forms of travel.

5. What are the challenges of developing zero force propulsion?

One of the main challenges of developing zero force propulsion is the lack of understanding about its underlying principles and mechanisms. Additionally, the technology and resources needed for experimentation and testing are currently limited. There are also ethical considerations and potential risks associated with manipulating fundamental forces of nature.