Zero curvature => straight line proof

In summary, when the curvature of a curve in R3 is zero, it means that the second derivative has no normal component. This can be proven by using the Serret Frenet equations and parameterizing the curve by arc length. This implies that the line is straight, as the tangent vector is constant at all points. The concept of normals and binormals may still be defined in this case.
Shaybay92
How would you prove that if the curvature of a 'curve' in R3 is zero that the line is straight? All I have learned about is the Serret Frenet equations which I thought only apply when the curvature is non-zero? How do you define normals/binormals in this case?

I'm not sure if this is enough... but:

dT/ds = kN = 0 because k=0
this implies that T is constant at all points ,which implies a straight line?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shaybay92 said:
How would you prove that if the curvature of a 'curve' in R3 is zero that the line is straight? All I have learned about is the Serret Frenet equations which I thought only apply when the curvature is non-zero? How do you define normals/binormals in this case?

I'm not sure if this is enough... but:

dT/ds = kN = 0 because k=0
this implies that T is constant at all points ,which implies a straight line?

the curvature is zero only when the second derivative has no normal component. If you parameterize the curve by arc length then the second derivative is zero.

Related to Zero curvature => straight line proof

1. How can zero curvature prove a straight line?

The concept of zero curvature refers to a mathematical property of a curve or surface, where its curvature at every point is equal to zero. In other words, there is no bending or deviation at any point. This property can be used to prove that a curve is actually a straight line, as a straight line has a curvature of zero at all points along its length.

2. Is zero curvature the only way to prove a straight line?

No, there are other ways to prove a straight line, such as using the slope-intercept form or the distance formula. However, using zero curvature is a common and effective method in mathematics and physics.

3. Can zero curvature be applied to all types of curves?

Yes, zero curvature can be applied to any type of curve, including lines, circles, parabolas, and more. As long as the curvature at every point on the curve is equal to zero, it can be proven to be a straight line using this method.

4. How is zero curvature used in real-world applications?

Zero curvature is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics, to analyze and design curved structures and objects. It is also used in navigation systems to determine the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface, such as the Earth's surface.

5. What are the limitations of using zero curvature to prove a straight line?

While zero curvature is a useful tool in mathematics and science, it is not a foolproof method. It can only prove that a curve is a straight line if the curvature at every point is equal to zero. If there are any deviations or imperfections in the curve, it may not be accurately represented by this property.