Z-Transform, Cant find this transform

In summary, the individual is trying to perform a z-transformation on the terms 1/(z-3) and 1/(z-5) but is unable to find a fitting sequence in their tables. They are unsure if there is a transform for these terms or if they should be left as they are. Another individual suggests using long division to expand the z transfer functions and then finding the inverse transform.
the_d

Homework Statement

I am attempting to perform a z-transformation on the terms 1/(z-3) and 1/(z-5) but I cannot find a sequence which fits this form in any of my tables. Is there a transform for these terms or do you just leave them as they are?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just left them as they were but I am not sure if that's the correct form

Physics news on Phys.org
Question is unclear. They're already z transforms. Are you looking for the inverse transforms?

rude man said:
Question is unclear. They're already z transforms. Are you looking for the inverse transforms?

Assuming you want to expand your z tranfer functions, use the standard method of long division to come up with a series:

1/(z-3) = 1Ʃanz-n etc.

Then the inverse transform is of course immediately at hand.

Last edited:

Related to Z-Transform, Cant find this transform

1. What is the Z-Transform?

The Z-Transform is a mathematical tool used in the field of signal processing to convert discrete-time signals into complex frequency-domain representations. It allows for the analysis and manipulation of signals in the digital domain, making it an important tool for digital signal processing applications.

2. How is the Z-Transform different from the Fourier Transform?

The Z-Transform is specifically designed for analyzing discrete-time signals, while the Fourier Transform is used for continuous-time signals. The Z-Transform also includes a variable, z, which represents the complex frequency of the signal, while the Fourier Transform uses the variable, ω, to represent frequency.

3. Why is the Z-Transform useful?

The Z-Transform is useful because it allows for the analysis and manipulation of signals in the digital domain. This is important for applications such as digital filtering, control systems, and communication systems. It also provides a way to easily convert between the time domain and frequency domain representations of a signal.

4. What are some common applications of the Z-Transform?

The Z-Transform is commonly used in digital signal processing applications such as audio and image processing, radar and sonar systems, and digital communications. It is also used in control systems to design and analyze digital filters and controllers.

5. Where can I learn more about the Z-Transform?

There are many resources available online and in textbooks that provide detailed explanations and examples of the Z-Transform. Some good starting points include online tutorials and courses on signal processing and digital signal processing. It may also be helpful to consult with a professor or colleague who has experience with the Z-Transform for further guidance.