Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal

In summary, to calculate the Young's moduli for Van der Waals solids, we need to use the definition of Young's modulus and the expression for total energy due to Van der Waals interaction. We can express the nearest neighbor distance in terms of the strain and then use the derivative of total energy with respect to strain to calculate the stress. Finally, we can use the definition of Young's modulus to get the expression for Young's modulus in terms of the strain and other constants.
ZetaOfThree
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Calculate the Young’s moduli for Van der Waals solids with sc, bcc, and fcc structures.

Homework Equations

Definition of Young's Modulus
$$Y=\frac{stress}{strain}$$
Total energy due to Van der Waals interaction:
$$U_{tot}=\frac{1}{2}N(4 \epsilon) \left( \sum_j{ \left( \frac{ \sigma}{p_{j}R}\right)}^{12} - \sum_j{ \left( \frac{ \sigma}{p_{j}R}\right)}^{6} \right)$$
Where ##p_{j}R## is the distance between the atom at the origin and the ##j^{th}## atom, expressed in terms of the nearest neighbor distance ##R##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am considering using the fact that ##X_x=\frac{\partial U}{\partial e_{xx}}## (where ##X_x## is stress) and dividing by ##e_{xx}##, but I'm not sure how to do that with the expression for ##U## given above. Perhaps I can get ##R## in terms of the strain and then take the derivative? Are there any tips or hints you can give me so I can start this problem?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To calculate the Young's modulus for Van der Waals solids, we need to use the definition of Young's modulus, which is the ratio of stress to strain. In this case, we can use the expression for total energy due to Van der Waals interaction to calculate the stress and strain.

First, we need to express the nearest neighbor distance ##p_{j}R## in terms of the strain. We can do this by considering the change in distance due to strain. Let's assume that the original distance between the atoms is ##d## and the strain is ##\epsilon##. The new distance can be expressed as ##d' = d(1 + \epsilon)##. Therefore, we can write ##p_{j}R = d' = d(1 + \epsilon)##.

Next, we can take the derivative of the total energy with respect to strain and divide by the strain to get the stress. This will give us the expression for stress in terms of the strain and other constants. Finally, we can plug this expression for stress into the definition of Young's modulus to get the expression for Young's modulus in terms of the strain and other constants.

To calculate the Young's modulus for Van der Waals solids with sc, bcc, and fcc structures, we need to substitute the values of the nearest neighbor distance for each structure into the expression for Young's modulus. For sc structure, the nearest neighbor distance is ##\sqrt{3}R##, for bcc structure, it is ##\sqrt{3}R/2##, and for fcc structure, it is ##\sqrt{2}R/2##.

I hope this helps you get started on the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal

1. What is Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal?

Young's modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. For cubic Van der Waals crystals, it is a measure of the resistance to deformation when a force is applied along a specific direction.

2. How is Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal calculated?

The Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal can be calculated using the formula E = (F/A)/ε, where E is the Young's modulus, F is the applied force, A is the cross-sectional area, and ε is the strain or change in length per unit length.

3. What factors affect Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal?

The Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal is affected by several factors, including the intermolecular forces between the atoms, the size and shape of the crystal, and the temperature and pressure at which the crystal is tested.

4. Why is Young's modulus important for cubic Van der Waals crystals?

Young's modulus is an important property for cubic Van der Waals crystals because it provides valuable information about the mechanical behavior of the material. It can help determine the material's ability to withstand stress and strain, and can also be used to compare the stiffness of different materials.

5. How can Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal be measured?

Young's modulus for cubic Van der Waals crystal can be measured using various techniques, such as tensile testing, compression testing, and nanoindentation. These methods involve applying a controlled force to the crystal and measuring the resulting deformation to calculate the Young's modulus.