Young Tableaux and spin products

In summary, the correct way to transform a Young tableau into the equivalent tensors is to use the Littlewood-Richardson Rule, which decomposes the tableau into its constituent parts and allows for the derivation of the associated Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.
Slereah
I am currently trying to demonstrate by hand the various Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for the product of particles of various spins, using (mostly) the formalism of Young tableaux. For simple cases, so far, it has worked okay (that is, ½x½) , but trying for bigger ones (1x½, 3/2x½ and 1x1, for instance), I run into problems.

For instance, for ½x½, the Young tableaux are just the symmetrisation of the two spinors and the antisymmetrisation, so the decomposition is just

[itex]\psi_a \xi_b = \left( \!\!\begin{array}{cc}
\psi_+ \chi_+&\frac{1}{2}(\psi_+ \chi_- + \psi_- \chi_+)\\
\frac{1}{2}(\psi_+ \chi_- + \psi_- \chi_+)&\psi_- \chi_-
\end{array}\! \right) + \frac{1}{2}\left( \!\!\begin{array}{cc}
0&1\\
-1&0
\end{array}\! \right)(\psi_+ \chi_- - \psi_- \chi_+)[/itex]

Which, once normalized, gives the correct CG coefficients, and their sum gives back indeed the original product. Problems appear with higher spins, though, and I think they stem from the different ways you can have the various mixed symmetry terms.

For 1x½, for instance, the tableaux are just :

ApbYo.jpg

The first one is full symmetrisation on all three indices, the second is a mix of symmetrisation and antisymmetrisation. As the full symmetrisation is completely symmetric, there is only one of them, and so have no problems with such terms, and all the CG coefficients are good, but mixed terms pose a bigger problem. I tried doing the most obvious thing for the second term, and just have the two upper cells represent the two first indices and the second row the third, or the first cell the spinor and the other two the vector, different combinations of the various mixed terms possible, but none of it seems to work, as it does not give the correct CG coefficients and/or the terms do not add up to the original product.

Of course, what I can do is just 1x½ and substract the fully symmetric term. Which is :

[itex]A_{ab} \psi_c - A_{(ab} \psi_{c)} = A_{ab} \psi_c - \frac{1}{3}(A_{ab} \psi_c+A_{ac} \psi_b + A_{cb} \psi_a) = \frac{1}{3}(2 A_{ab} \psi_c-A_{ac} \psi_b - A_{cb} \psi_a) [/itex]

Which gives the correct CG coefficients and all, but this method only works here (and for 3/2x½), since above that, there are multiple mixed symmetry terms.

The fact that it contains a 1/3 factor bothers me, since I always find 1/4 with the tableaux, since they are symmetrisation and antisymmetrisation of two terms.

So what is the correct way of transforming a Young tableau into the equivalent tensors?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there something I am missing? The correct way of transforming a Young tableau into the equivalent tensors is to use the so-called 'Littlewood-Richardson Rule'. This is an algorithm that, given a Young tableau, will give you the corresponding tensor and the associated Clebsch-Gordan coefficient. In a nutshell, it works by decomposing the Young tableau into its constituent parts, which correspond to a specific combination of symmetric and antisymmetric tensors. The coefficients for each of the terms can then be derived from the decomposition. In addition, it is important to note that the Littlewood-Richardson Rule can only be applied to Young tableaux with no more than three rows. For larger tableaux, other methods must be used.

Related to Young Tableaux and spin products

1. What is a Young Tableau?

A Young Tableau is a mathematical tool used to study the representations of symmetric and general linear groups. It is a specific way of arranging numbers or letters into rows and columns, following certain rules, in order to represent the irreducible representations of these groups.

2. How are Young Tableaux used in physics?

In physics, Young Tableaux are used to represent the states of particles with spin. By using spinors, which are multi-dimensional objects that can represent spin, scientists can use Young Tableaux to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the relationship between Young Tableaux and spin products?

Young Tableaux and spin products are closely related because they both deal with the concept of spin. Spin products are used to determine the total spin of a system, while Young Tableaux are used to represent the spin states of particles in a system.

4. What are some applications of Young Tableaux and spin products?

Young Tableaux and spin products have many applications in physics, including in the study of quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and particle physics. They are also used in other areas of mathematics, such as representation theory and combinatorics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Young Tableaux and spin products?

While Young Tableaux and spin products are powerful tools, they do have some limitations. They are most useful for studying systems with a small number of particles, and can become very complex when applied to larger systems. Additionally, they may not accurately represent certain physical phenomena, such as interactions between particles.