Y component of electric field due to line of charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the y-component of the electric field produced by a positive charge Q distributed along the positive y-axis and a negative point charge -q on the positive x-axis. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation E=K*Q/(r^2) and integrating to find the electric field. However, there are errors in the integration and the dimensions of the final answer are incorrect. The suggestion is made to use tables or Wolfram Alpha for a more accurate calculation.
Mddrill

Homework Statement

Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly along the positive y-axis between y=0 and y=a . A negative point charge −q lies on the positive x-axis, a distance x from the origin

Calculate the y-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis.

Homework Equations

E=K*Q/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I formed the equation dE_y=K*[(lambda)dy/(x^2+y^2)]*(y/(x^2+y^2)^(1/2) and trying to integrate
E_y=K(lambda)*[integral 0 to a][y/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2)]

using trig substitution y=xtan(theta) and dy=xsec^2(theta)d(theta)

to make this a little easier to read I will say K(lambda)=C
C[integral]{[(x^2)tan(theta)sec^2(theta)]/[(x^3)(1+tan^2(theta)^(3/2)]}d(theta)
=C[integral]{tan(theta)/xsec(theta)}
=C[integral]{sin(theta)/x} = C[-cos(theta)/x] cos(theta) = x/[(x^2 +y^2)^(1/2)]
=C[-1/[(x^2 +y^2)^(1/2)] from 0 to a
=(-K(lambda))/[(x^2 + a^2)^(1/2)] (lambda) = Q/a

=-(KQ)/[a(x^2+ a^2)^(1/2)]
This is the answer I came up with, but apparently its wrong. can anyone explain to me why this is wrong and what is the right way to do it?
Thank you

P.S. this is my first post, so idk if there's a "cleaner" way to write these equations, if there is please tell me. Sorry if they are hard to follow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mddrill said:

Homework Statement

Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly along the positive y-axis between y=0 and y=a . A negative point charge −q lies on the positive x-axis, a distance x from the origin

Calculate the y-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis.

Homework Equations

E=K*Q/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I formed the equation dE_y=K*[(lambda)dy/(x^2+y^2)]*(y/(x^2+y^2)^(1/2)
and trying to integrate

E_y=K(lambda)*[integral 0 to a][y/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2)]
OK up to here.
Observations:

1. If you click on the Σ in the toolbar you can select all sorts of greek letters and other symbols.
2. You did not integrate correctly. If you check your units you will see that the dimensions in your answer are incorrect. E has dimensions of kQ/L2 and yours is kQ/L3/2. ALWAYS check dimensions (units)! It's the most powerful error-checking tool you have.
3. Learning the technique of integration is in IMO a big waste of time (can't wait to hear the ripostes on this one!). Instead, use tables or our recent gift from Heaven called Wolfram Alpha!

Hi Md, welcome to PF :smile: !

------------------

Re equation typesetting:

We use ##\#\### to start and to end to typeset equations in line with the text.
For bigger stuff we use ##$$## to start and end to get separate lines centered on the page

Here's a tutorial. First example:

you type ##\#\### y= a x^2 + bx + c ##\#\###

the result will be

##y = a x^2 + bx + c ##

and with dollar signs instead of # you get $$y = a x^2 + bx + c $$

One other neat thing: to learn a lot more, right-click on equations in threads and pick "show math as TeX Commands"

----------------------

Re electric field:

I agree with Rudy on $$dE_y = k\lambda\; {y \, dy \over \left (x^2+y^2 \right )^{3\over 2} }$$
I happen not to agree with Rudy about the dimensions. Perhaps he has overlooked that a also has the dimension of length.

You substitute ##y = tan\theta## which may or may not be fine.

I notice that ##ydy = {1\over 2} d(y^2)## and that suggests another substitution. See if that gets the same answer ...

(un)fortunately hyperphysics calculates the other component, otherwise we would have an opportunity to check the answer :rolleyes:

--

BvU said:
I happen not to agree with Rudy about the dimensions. Perhaps he has overlooked that a also has the dimension of length.
Rudy agrees! I goofed there.
But the OP needs to clean up his/her math; e.g. there are missing differentials in
=C[integral]{tan(theta)/xsec(theta)}
=C[integral]{sin(theta)/x} = C[-cos(theta)/x] cos(theta) = x/[(x^2 +y^2)^(1/2)]

and anyway the integral evaluated between 0 and a is not what he/she states.
Again, I recommend tables or wolfram alpha, going straight with his/her
dE_y=K*[(lambda)dy/(x^2+y^2)]*(y/(x^2+y^2)^(1/2)
which rewritten symbolically would be
dEy = kλ y dy/(x2 + y2)3/2
integrated from 0 to a.

Related to Y component of electric field due to line of charge

1. What is the formula for calculating the Y component of electric field due to a line of charge?

The formula for calculating the Y component of electric field due to a line of charge is E = (kλy)/(y^2 + z^2)^(3/2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density, and y and z are the coordinates of the point where the field is being measured.

2. How does the Y component of electric field due to a line of charge change with distance?

The Y component of electric field due to a line of charge decreases with distance from the line of charge. As the distance increases, the denominator of the formula (y^2 + z^2)^(3/2) becomes larger, causing the overall value of the field to decrease.

3. What is the direction of the Y component of electric field due to a line of charge?

The direction of the Y component of electric field due to a line of charge is perpendicular to the line of charge and parallel to the y-axis. This means that the field points either towards or away from the line of charge, depending on the sign of the charge.

4. How does the Y component of electric field due to a line of charge change with the linear charge density?

The Y component of electric field due to a line of charge is directly proportional to the linear charge density. This means that as the linear charge density increases, the Y component of electric field also increases, assuming all other variables remain constant.

5. What is the significance of the Y component of electric field due to a line of charge?

The Y component of electric field due to a line of charge is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields around charged objects. It helps determine the overall strength and direction of the electric field, which is crucial in many practical applications such as in electrical circuits and the movement of charged particles.