Writing x^2 + y^2 = 1 + sin^2(xy) in polar form

In summary, the conversation discusses converting an equation from Cartesian form to polar form and solving for r as a function of φ. The final solution involves using the arcsin function to narrow the range of φ and find the solution for r.
Rasmus

Homework Statement

Write the equation

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 1 + sin^2(xy)[/tex]

in polar form assuming

[tex]x = rcos(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]y = rsin(\phi)[/tex]

[tex]0<r, 0<= \phi < 2pi[/tex]

solve for r as a function of [itex]\phi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](rcos(\phi))^2 + (rsin(\phi))^2 = 1 + sin^2(r^2cos(\phi)sin(\phi))[/tex]

[tex]r^2(cos^2(\phi) + sin^2(\phi)) = 1 + sin^2(r^2cos(\phi)sin(\phi))[/tex]

[tex]r^2 = 1 + sin^2(r^2cos(\phi)sin(\phi))[/tex]

At this point I'm feeling pretty lost, since I have no idea how to get the all r:s alone on one side of the equation. More specifically I don't understand how to get them out of the trig function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
I continued your calculation. it should be
φ = 1/2 * arcsin [2 arcsin{sqrt(r^2 - 1)} / r^2 ]
Regards.

Thanks for the help, but I'm afraid I don't really understand exactly what you have done.

It looks like you applied arcsin twice as well as some other operations to solve for [itex]\phi[/itex] rather than r.

Wouldn't arcsin be a problem since that isn't defined for [0 to 2pi]?

Hi.
The function stands for both φ and -φ, i.e. even function or symmetric for x axis.
The function stands for both φ and π-φ, i.e. even function or symmetric for y axis.
The function stands for both φ and π/2-φ, i.e. symmetric for y=x
So you can narrow the range of φ to [0,π/4] in your estimation.
Regards.

Related to Writing x^2 + y^2 = 1 + sin^2(xy) in polar form

1. What is polar form?

Polar form is a way of representing complex numbers using their distance from the origin and their angle with the positive x-axis. It is often written in the form r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle.

2. How do you convert from rectangular form to polar form?

To convert from rectangular form (x + yi) to polar form, you can use the following formulas: r = √(x² + y²) and θ = arctan(y/x). Then, write the number in the form r(cosθ + isinθ).

3. Can x^2 + y^2 = 1 + sin^2(xy) be written in polar form?

Yes, it can be written in polar form. First, use the formula for r to find the magnitude: r = √(x² + y²) = √(1 + sin²(xy)). Then, use the formula for θ to find the angle: θ = arctan(y/x) = arctan(sin(xy)/x). The polar form would be r(cosθ + isinθ) = √(1 + sin²(xy))(cos(arctan(sin(xy)/x)) + isin(arctan(sin(xy)/x))).

4. What are the benefits of using polar form for this equation?

Using polar form can make it easier to visualize and understand the equation, as it represents the numbers in terms of their distance and angle rather than just their coordinates. It can also make it easier to perform calculations and manipulations with the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar form for this equation?

One limitation of using polar form for this equation is that it may not be as convenient for graphing or plotting points on a Cartesian coordinate plane. Additionally, the formulas for converting between rectangular and polar forms can become more complex for more complicated equations.