Writing a random 2N by 2N matrix in terms of Pauli Matrices

In summary, the question is whether a 2N by 2N random and Hermitian matrix can always be written as a linear combination of Pauli spin matrices. The answer is yes, as the Pauli operators form a basis for operators acting on qubit spaces. This also holds for Hermitian matrices, as shown by explicitly writing out the operator in a basis and substituting the Pauli matrices. This representation holds for any size N, as long as the matrices A, B, C, and D are Hermitian.
sokrates
Hi,

Wasn't sure if I should post this to Linear Algebra or here.

My question is really simple:

Can a 2N by 2N random, and Hermitian Matrix ( Hamiltonian ) be always written as:

[itex]H = A \otimes I_{2\times 2} + B \otimes \sigma_x + C \otimes \sigma_y + D \otimes \sigma_z[/itex]

where A,B,C,D are all N by N matrices, while the sigma's are the Pauli spin matrices.

My question is, as long as A,B,C,D are random and complex Hermitian matrices of size N by N, do I cover the
whole 2N by 2N complex Hermitian space with this representation?

If yes, do you know a reference, a theorem, or a simple proof of this?A very simple case is when N = 1 , and I know that any 2 x 2 complex , Hermitian matrix can be written as a linear combination of Pauli Matrices.

Many thanks,
sokrates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is. It's just a matter of counting degrees of freedom

sokrates said:
My question is really simple:

Can a 2N by 2N random, and Hermitian Matrix ( Hamiltonian ) be always written as:

[itex]H = A \otimes I_{2\times 2} + B \otimes \sigma_x + C \otimes \sigma_y + D \otimes \sigma_z[/itex]

where A,B,C,D are all N by N matrices, while the sigma's are the Pauli spin matrices.

Yes, because the Pauli operators form a basis of the set of operators acting on qubit (two-dimensional Hilbert) spaces. If you're not convinced then note that you can always write your operator in the form

[tex]H = A_{00} \otimes \lvert 0 \rangle \langle 0 \rvert + A_{01} \otimes \lvert 0 \rangle \langle 1 \rvert + A_{10} \otimes \lvert 1 \rangle \langle 0 \rvert + A_{11} \otimes \lvert 1 \rangle \langle 1 \rvert[/tex]​

just by writing it out explicitly in some basis and collecting the terms in [itex]\lvert 0 \rangle \langle 0 \rvert[/itex], [itex]\lvert 0 \rangle \langle 1 \rvert[/itex], etc., and then substituting

[tex]\begin{eqnarray}
\lvert 0 \rangle \langle 0 \rvert &=& \tfrac{1}{2} ( \mathbb{I} + \sigma_{z} ) \,, \\
\lvert 0 \rangle \langle 1 \rvert &=& \tfrac{1}{2} ( \sigma_{x} + i \sigma_{y} ) \,, \\
\lvert 1 \rangle \langle 0 \rvert &=& \tfrac{1}{2} ( \sigma_{x} - i \sigma_{y} ) \,, \\
\lvert 1 \rangle \langle 1 \rvert &=& \tfrac{1}{2} ( \mathbb{I} - \sigma_{z} ) \,.
\end{eqnarray}[/tex]​

This works for any operator. If [itex]H[/itex] happens to be Hermitian then this imposes additional constraints. For instance, as you pointed out, the [itex]A[/itex], [itex]B[/itex], [itex]C[/itex], and [itex]D[/itex] from your post must also be Hermitian in that case.

Hi , Thank you for the responses ... However, I still don't understand it from a matrix point of view.

Let's take N = 2 , and have a 4x4 H matrix ... can one prove that my representation will always cover the full space ?

I didn't follow it from the Dirac notation,

Many thanks for responses.

Related to Writing a random 2N by 2N matrix in terms of Pauli Matrices

1. What is a random 2N by 2N matrix?

A random 2N by 2N matrix is a square matrix with 2N rows and 2N columns, where the individual elements are randomly generated numbers. The size of the matrix is determined by the value of N.

2. What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of three 2 by 2 matrices used in quantum mechanics to represent spin states of particles. They are named after the physicist Wolfgang Pauli.

3. How do you write a random 2N by 2N matrix in terms of Pauli matrices?

To write a random 2N by 2N matrix in terms of Pauli matrices, you can use the formula M = aI + bσx + cσy + dσz, where a, b, c, and d are randomly generated numbers and σx, σy, and σz are the Pauli matrices.

4. What is the significance of writing a random 2N by 2N matrix in terms of Pauli matrices?

Writing a random 2N by 2N matrix in terms of Pauli matrices is significant because it allows for a more compact representation of the matrix. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the matrix using the properties of Pauli matrices.

5. Can a random 2N by 2N matrix be written in terms of other matrices besides Pauli matrices?

Yes, a random 2N by 2N matrix can be written in terms of other matrices besides Pauli matrices. However, Pauli matrices are often used due to their special properties and relevance in quantum mechanics.