Write the inner product of the state vector in a atom orbital

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of atomic orbitals with wave functions σ(r) and μ(r) in diatomic molecules. These orbitals are relevant for the discussion of molecular orbitals and are represented by the creation operators x, y, and vacuum, |0>. The energy of the orbitals, ε^a and ε^b, can be obtained using the inner product of the state vectors and a real matrix element, V = <0|xHy|0>, in the linear combination of atomic orbitals approach.
rishhary
Consider 2 atomic orbitals with wave function a: σ(r), b: μ(r) in a diatomic molecules. σ(r) (or μ(r)) is localized around an atom a (or b) and is relevant for the discussion of the molecular orbital. These orbitals are orthogonal and normalised. The creation operators are x, y and vacuum, |0>.

a ) A wave function for the orbital on each atom is represented by the creation operator. Using the bra vector <r| write σ(r), μ(r) in the inner product of the state vectors. b) Let ε^a (or ε^b) be the energy of a: σ(r), b: μ(r) respectively and V = <0|xHy|0> be a real matrix element. Obtain the energy eigen values in this Linear combination of atomic orbitals approach.

These questions are from a sample exam papers of my course and I tried solving them but I am not sure of my answer so I decided to post it here so I can get some feedback and cross-check my solution. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
rishhary said:
These questions are from a sample exam papers of my course and I tried solving them but I am not sure of my answer so I decided to post it here so I can get some feedback and cross-check my solution. Thank you
Please post your solution here (and use the homework template), otherwise you cannot get feedback on it.

Related to Write the inner product of the state vector in a atom orbital

1. What is a state vector in an atom orbital?

A state vector in an atom orbital represents the quantum state of an electron in an atom. It describes the electron's position, momentum, and energy in the atom.

2. How is the inner product of the state vector calculated?

The inner product of the state vector is calculated by taking the complex conjugate of the first vector and multiplying it by the second vector. This is then integrated over all space to obtain a scalar value.

3. What does the inner product of the state vector represent?

The inner product of the state vector represents the probability amplitude of finding an electron in a specific state within the atom.

4. Can the inner product of the state vector be negative?

Yes, the inner product of the state vector can be negative. This means that the electron has a negative probability amplitude in that specific state, indicating that it is less likely to be found in that state.

5. How is the inner product related to the concept of orthogonality?

The inner product is related to orthogonality in that if two state vectors are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other, their inner product will be equal to zero. This means that the probability amplitude for finding the electron in one state is zero, and it will not interfere with the probability amplitude of the other state.