Write each polynomial as the product of it's greatest common

In summary: I'm not in a rush or anything so I don't mind taking stuff to a point like 12a^2(6a^2(1/12)a+1/3). It isn't for any class, it's just from a Algebra II + Trig eBook that I'm studying from. I'm learning math by myself as a... hobby. I'm not in a rush or anything so I don't mind taking stuff to a point like 12a^2(6a^2(1/12)a+1/3).If you're just looking to see how far you can take it, then go for it. Haha. But, you're right, there's no rush
MathJakob

Homework Statement

Write each polynomial as the product of it's greatest common monomial factor and a polynomial

Homework Equations

[tex]8x^2+12x[/tex]
[tex]6a^4-3a^3+9a^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]4x(2x+3)[/tex]
[tex]a^2(6a^2-3a+9)[/tex]

I really don't understand what it's asking me for, how can I factor this more?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second equation can be factored a little further. The three terms still have one more common factor.

Are these two separate problems? It sounds like it just wants you to factor out the greatest common factor.

[tex]4x(2x+3)[/tex] I can't see anymore common factors...

[tex]a^2(6a^2-3a+9[/tex] also has no common factors, if it were a +3 instead of a -3 then I could do this [tex]6a^4-3a^3+9a^2[/tex]
[tex]3a^2(2a^2-a+3)[/tex]

hmm can you give me a pointer? I assume I have to get rid of the remaining squares?

What about ##8x(x + 3/2)##? No one said anything about needing the polynomial factor to have integer coefficients. The question is ambiguous; I would skip it.

One more thing, if x is negative, the factor 4x is smaller than the factor 2x.

MathJakob said:
[tex]4x(2x+3)[/tex] I can't see anymore common factors...
I disagree with verty about [itex]8x(x+ 3/2)[/itex] being a solution. In factoring problems, it is generally understood that the coefficients are to be integers in order to have a unique solution.

[tex]a^2(6a^2-3a+9)[/tex] also has no common factors, if it were a +3 instead of a -3 then I could do this [tex]6a^4-3a^3+9a^2[/tex]
I have no idea what "+3" or "-3" you are talking about. [itex]3a^2(2a^2- a+ 3)[/itex] is a perfectly good solution to the original problem.

hmm can you give me a pointer? I assume I have to get rid of the remaining squares?

HallsofIvy said:
[itex]3a^2(2a^2- a+ 3)[/itex] is a perfectly good solution to the original problem.

"Write each polynomial as the product of it's greatest common monomial factor and a polynomial"

So this answer satisfies the original question?

That should do it. The negative doesn't make a difference in this case for the purposes of factoring. What's important is that the two expressions remain equal. If you now distribute the 3a^2 back into the parentheses, you will end up with exactly the same expression as the original problem. You just have to make sure to keep your signs straight when you're factoring.

I'd also agree that it should remain in integer form. Typically, "simplest form" of an expression is going to involve integer coefficients. There's no rule that you can't factor fractions out, but in general, you don't unless you have to.

I agree with verty. If the question doesn't specifically state that you want to factor it as integer polynomials, then any factorization goes. A question should state this.

I agree. A fractional factorization certainly wouldn't be "wrong." However, for simplicities sake, I'd imagine a factorization with integer coefficients would be preferred.

You could take it further though.

[tex]6a^4-3a^3+9a^2[/tex]
From this point, you could still factor a 2 out.

[tex]6a^2(a^2-\frac{1}{2}a+\frac{3}{2})[/tex]

But, that strikes me as unnecessary.

I am quite sure that the solution is supposed to have integers only.
Even more, I don't think those other proposed ideas are solutions: They assume an additional structure which is not given in the problem statement. You can study polynomials outside of real and complex numbers. It could be that 1/2 or 1/3 are not even well-defined there.

mfb said:
I am quite sure that the solution is supposed to have integers only.
Even more, I don't think those other proposed ideas are solutions: They assume an additional structure which is not given in the problem statement. You can study polynomials outside of real and complex numbers. It could be that 1/2 or 1/3 are not even well-defined there.

Although I agree, I think the problem statement should have clarified this. Right now we're only guessing.

If you are asked to factorize 12, do you write it as 12=2*2*2*3*(1/2) or 12=2*2*2*(3/2)?

mfb said:
If you are asked to factorize 12, do you write it as 12=2*2*2*3*(1/2) or 12=2*2*2*(3/2)?

It's rather clear that we work in the integers there. If we work with polynomials, then it is not at all clear to me where we work in. There are many very natural rings to work in. Unlike factorizing 12, where there is really only one interesting ring.

I agree that they are likely just asking for integer factorization. It's the simplest and clearest factorization of the given polynomials.

We could factor another 2 of it from this point...

[tex]12a^2(\frac{1}{2}a^2-\frac{1}{4}a+\frac{3}{4})[/tex]

But, that seems unnecessary, and we could continue taking it infinitely further if we wanted...but that seems silly, given the problem statement.

What class is this for? If it's a pre-calc algebra class, it's likely safe to assume that they're asking for integer factorization.

I apologize, I didn't see the significance of the word "common" in "greatest common monomial factor", I read it as "greatest monomial factor common to each term", equivalent to "greatest monomial factor", equivalent to "greatest monomial that divides evenly". On this reading, the question seemed vague to me.

If it had said "greatest common monomial divisor", I would have seen the connection. I would have assumed that the coefficient of the monomial is the GCD of the coefficients and the index is the minimum of the indices.

QuantumCurt said:
I agree that they are likely just asking for integer factorization. It's the simplest and clearest factorization of the given polynomials.

We could factor another 2 of it from this point...

[tex]12a^2(\frac{1}{2}a^2-\frac{1}{4}a+\frac{3}{4})[/tex]

But, that seems unnecessary, and we could continue taking it infinitely further if we wanted...but that seems silly, given the problem statement.

What class is this for? If it's a pre-calc algebra class, it's likely safe to assume that they're asking for integer factorization.

It isn't for any class, it's just from a Algebra II + Trig eBook that I'm studying from. I'm learning math by myself as a hobby.

MathJakob said:
It isn't for any class, it's just from a Algebra II + Trig eBook that I'm studying from. I'm learning math by myself as a hobby.

Gotcha. Within the context of algebra II, we can basically be certain that they're asking for integer factorization. The Greatest Common Monomial Factor would imply the greatest factor that is common to all of the terms in the given polynomial. In the case of the first expression, the greatest common monomial factor is [itex]2x[/itex], and in the second expression, it is the [itex]3a^2[/itex]

Related to Write each polynomial as the product of it's greatest common

1. What does "greatest common" mean in terms of polynomials?

The greatest common factor (GCF) of two or more polynomials is the largest term that divides evenly into each polynomial.

2. How do I find the greatest common factor of two polynomials?

To find the greatest common factor of two polynomials, you can use the method of factoring by grouping or the method of finding common factors and then multiplying them together.

3. Can all polynomials be written as the product of their greatest common factor and another polynomial?

Yes, all polynomials can be written as the product of their greatest common factor and another polynomial. This is known as factoring, and it is an important tool in simplifying and solving polynomial equations.

4. Is the greatest common factor always the same for all the terms in a polynomial?

No, the greatest common factor may vary for different terms in a polynomial. It depends on the factors that are common to all the terms in the polynomial.

5. How can finding the greatest common factor help me in solving polynomial equations?

Finding the greatest common factor can help simplify polynomial equations and make them easier to solve. It can also help identify any common factors that can be cancelled out, making the equation easier to manipulate.