Write a trigonometric expression as an algebraic expression

In summary, the trigonometric expression can be written as cos(arccos x + arcsin x) = cos(arccos x)cos(arcsin x) - sin(arccos x)sin(arcsin x). The angle-sum identity for cosine is used to simplify the expression, resulting in a final answer of zero.
Taryn1
This problem probably should be easy, but I don't remember learning the basic way to do these problems: Write the trigonometric expression as an algebraic expression:

cos(arccos x + arcsin x)

The answer is zero, but I don't know how to get there...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Recall the identity:

\(\displaystyle \arccos(x)+\arcsin(x)=\frac{\pi}{2}\)

However, I suspect you are to use the angle-sum identity for cosine to write:

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(\arccos(x)+\arcsin(x)\right)=\cos\left(\arccos(x)\right)\cos\left(\arcsin(x)\right)-\sin\left(\arccos(x)\right)\sin\left(\arcsin(x)\right)\)

Can you continue?

Ohhhh, I think I get it now. Thanks!

Related to Write a trigonometric expression as an algebraic expression

1. What is a trigonometric expression?

A trigonometric expression is an expression that involves the use of trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to represent the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle.

2. How do you write a trigonometric expression as an algebraic expression?

To write a trigonometric expression as an algebraic expression, you would first identify the given trigonometric function and its corresponding sides and angles. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric identity to express the function in terms of the given variables.

3. Can you give an example of writing a trigonometric expression as an algebraic expression?

Sure, one example would be writing the trigonometric expression sin x as an algebraic expression. Using the Pythagorean identity, sin²x + cos²x = 1, we can rearrange to get sin²x = 1 - cos²x. Therefore, the algebraic expression for sin x would be √(1 - cos²x).

4. What are the common trigonometric identities used to write trigonometric expressions as algebraic expressions?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities are the Pythagorean identity (sin²x + cos²x = 1), the sum and difference identities (sin(x ± y) = sin x cos y ± cos x sin y), and the double-angle identities (sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x).

5. Why is it important to be able to write trigonometric expressions as algebraic expressions?

Being able to write trigonometric expressions as algebraic expressions is important because it allows us to manipulate and solve equations involving trigonometric functions using algebraic methods. This is especially helpful in applications of trigonometry, such as engineering, physics, and navigation.