Would you give monies to family if you became rich?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of what people would do if they came into a large sum of money, specifically $2 million. Some participants said they would be generous with their family, while others believed their family members were wasteful and wouldn't give them any money. Some suggested setting up trust funds for family members or helping with college expenses, while others joked about extravagant spending. Overall, the consensus was that while they would give some money to family, they would also be cautious and not let them rely on them for financial support.
DaveC426913 said:
Husband walks in front door.
Wife: "Honey, I just won the lottery! Pack your bags!"
Husband: "Wow honey, that's awesome! Just one thing, am I packing for the mountains or the coast?"
Wife: "I don't care! Just get out!"

Feel the love. :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
No way. I won the million dollar prize in the mega powerball lotto cash5 last year. I had a choice, $1 a year for a million years, or a lump sum payment of $19.95 which I took. My brother-in-law got wind of this and immediately asked to borrow $5 for his septuple by-pass surgery. What do you know, he skipped the surgery, died and gave the money to my sister who won't pay it back because she says I can't prove I lent it.

Last edited:
If I won the lottery I would by my parents a house, pay off my siblings debt and help out two of my mother’s cousins who I have a good relationship with.

Rest of the money will be spent in the following order

1)Death Ray
2)Hookers
3)Second Death Ray
4)Ferrari

anubis, you get the Ferrari, and you don't need hookers. Save yourself some cash

So, nobody plans to pay any tax?

jobyts said:

The government usually decides that paying taxes on your winnings/earnings isn't really an option that you get to choose :)

jobyts said:

On my multi million lottery prize? Erm.. no thanks!

Ivan Seeking said:
Note that I modified the question to ask what I would do with a couple hundred-million. :biggrin: Two-million wouldn't be enough to change life signficantly - I wouldn't throw money away if I only had a couple of milllion.

Two-million isn't enough to change life significantly? I thought somebody with a doctoral degree in engineering couldn't make much more than 2.5 million or so during his lifetime.

wrongusername said:
Two-million isn't enough to change life significantly? I thought somebody with a doctoral degree in engineering couldn't make much more than 2.5 million or so during his lifetime.
If you have been quite conservative and have saved all your life and have a few hundred K socked away, are you going to start spending like a drunken sailor just because you've hit a $2M jackpot (much less in a lump-sum, less taxes)? I wouldn't. I would build a pole-barn to dry fire-wood in and store my tractor, and maybe set up a trust fund for educating the young 'uns in in the family. Maybe a few grand to build a roll-off-roof observatory for my 'scope. What else could I need? Not want, but need? Maybe trade in my 14-year-old pickup truck (used for landfill runs/recycling) for one that is only 5 years old or so... Maybe build a nicer greenhouse to start vegetables in...

I would probably also fund an animal shelter. I love dogs, and so many are being abandoned in these hard financial times. My nephew and his sister's husband showed up today to estimate some cabinetry, and he brought his dog along. That sweet boxer will lick you to death if you let him. His little stub of a tail wags continuously, and though today is the first time he met me, after I roughly scrubbed his neck, ears, etc. I was his newest best pal. He didn't jump on me or act out, but if I reached out to scratch his ears or pat him, he'd instantly try to lay kisses on my hand.

My neighbors' dog is half German shepherd and half pit bull, and when he sees me coming he runs around barking and searching frantically for something that I can throw from him. His toys range from cute little squeaky things to lids off 5-gallon buckets (joint-compound frisbees!) and it doesn't matter what it is as long as I will throw it for him. If I ignore him (teasing), he leans against my legs, looks up at me and whines (Nobody every throws anything for me!). Then when he brings back the projectile, he drops it at my feet, acts unconcerned, and then tries to snatch it away before I can grab it. What a sweetie!