Would this be sufficient as a proof?

• Thread starter sooyong94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation involves discussing solutions to an equation using Vieta's formula and the quadratic discriminant. Suggestions are given to simplify the solution and the order of the solution attachments is mentioned. The first attached solution seems unrelated, while the second and third are related to the second question, but the logic in the third solution is backwards. The correct approach would be to start by stating that "it will only have real roots if..." followed by the use of the quadratic discriminant to prove that the equation has real roots.
sooyong94

Homework Statement

Capture.png

2. Homework Equations
Vieta's formula, quadratic discriminant

3. The Attempt at a Solution
test.png

test3.png

test4.png

teste.png

Physics news on Phys.org
suggestion for the first part: since ##\alpha,\beta## are solutions your equation as also a second form ##(x-\alpha)(x-\beta)=0## so you can expand this and proceed comparing with ##ax^{2}+2bx+c=0## ...
for the second part you must to look to the ##\Delta## of the equation ##ax^{2}+2mbx+nc=0## and to prove that is ##\geq 0## (observe that ##b^{2}-ac\geq 0## by assumption) ...

Your attempt at a solution is very long, I hope with my suggestions you will able to simplify ...

I was a bit confused because the order of the solution attachments does not match the order of the questions. The last attachment appears to address the first question. As Ssnow writes, it is simpler to start with factorisation.

The first attached solution seems unrelated to the posted questions.

The second attached solution does seem to be related to the second posted question, but exactly how is unclear.

The third attached solution does address the second question, but the logic is backwards. You are asked to show that the equation has real roots, so you should not start with "if it has real roots". You could start with "it will only have real roots if..."

Related to Would this be sufficient as a proof?

1. What is the purpose of a proof?

A proof is used to demonstrate that a statement or hypothesis is true. It is a way to provide evidence and support for a claim.

2. How do you know if a proof is sufficient?

A proof is considered sufficient when it logically and clearly explains each step of the argument and leads to the desired conclusion. It should also be able to withstand scrutiny and counterarguments.

3. What makes a proof valid?

A proof is valid if it follows the rules of logic and uses accepted mathematical or scientific principles. It must also use evidence and reasoning to support its claims.

4. Can a proof ever be 100% certain?

No, a proof can never be 100% certain. It can only provide strong evidence and support for a claim, but there is always a possibility of error or new information that may disprove it.

5. How can I improve my proof-writing skills?

Practice and feedback are key to improving proof-writing skills. It is important to carefully analyze and understand the material, use clear and concise language, and check for any logical errors or missing steps in your proof.