Would modeling collisions using Coulomb forces be useful?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using the mutual repulsive forces of valence electrons to model collisions of macroscopic objects for a senior project. The question of whether this approach is worthwhile or more complicated than using conservation laws is raised, along with the potential benefits and limitations. There is also a discussion about the practicality of modeling a large number of electrons and the potential use of a continuous distribution of charge. Ultimately, it is acknowledged that the usefulness of this approach would depend on the application and it is something that has been attempted in the past.
pantheid
Hi, I am trying to decide on a topic for my senior project, and my professor and I fleetingly discussed my idea of writing a program that models collisions of macroscopic objects using the mutual repulsive forces of their valence electrons rather than standard conservation laws. My question is, is this a worthwhile pursuit? Would trying to analyze collisions in this way make it more complicated, or might this be more useful than using conservation laws in some scenarios?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think you will learn from this?

How do you plan on modeling 10^23 electrons?

I was intending to use a continuous distribution of charge over a weirdly shaped surface, rather than just individual charges.

You are thinking of modelling the valence electrons as some sort of restricted-motion fluid over the surface of the object with a fixed distribution of positive charge under it?

It would depend on the application ... there is no way to tell in advance if it will be useful.
I have a feeling it is the sort of thing people try every now and again.

I can say that modeling collisions using Coulomb forces can be a useful approach in certain scenarios. The mutual repulsive forces between valence electrons can play a significant role in the collision dynamics of macroscopic objects, and incorporating this into your program can provide valuable insights.

However, it is important to note that Coulomb forces are just one aspect of the overall collision process and cannot fully replace the use of conservation laws. Conservation laws are fundamental principles in physics and play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

That being said, your idea of incorporating Coulomb forces into your program can potentially enhance our understanding and analysis of collisions, especially in scenarios where the mutual repulsive forces between valence electrons are significant. It can also provide a more accurate representation of the collision process in certain cases.

Overall, I believe that your proposed project has the potential to be a valuable contribution to the field of collision dynamics. However, it is important to carefully consider the limitations and applicability of your approach in comparison to traditional conservation laws. I would suggest discussing this further with your professor and seeking guidance from experts in the field to ensure that your project is well-informed and scientifically sound. Best of luck with your senior project!

Related to Would modeling collisions using Coulomb forces be useful?

1. What is the purpose of modeling collisions using Coulomb forces?

The purpose of modeling collisions using Coulomb forces is to understand how charged particles behave when they interact with each other. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. How does Coulomb's law factor into modeling collisions?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is used to calculate the magnitude and direction of the forces between charged particles, making it a crucial component of modeling collisions using Coulomb forces.

3. What types of collisions can be modeled using Coulomb forces?

Coulomb forces can be used to model both elastic and inelastic collisions between charged particles. In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy of the particles remains constant before and after the collision, while in inelastic collisions, some kinetic energy is lost.

4. How accurate are models of collisions using Coulomb forces?

The accuracy of the models depends on the assumptions and simplifications made in the calculations. In reality, charged particles may also experience other forces, such as magnetic or gravitational forces, which can affect the outcome of the collision. Therefore, while Coulomb forces provide a good approximation, they may not be entirely accurate.

5. What are some practical applications of modeling collisions using Coulomb forces?

Modeling collisions using Coulomb forces has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of electrically charged particles in particle accelerators, designing and optimizing circuits in electronics, and understanding the properties of materials in chemistry and material science.