Working with archimedes principle.

In summary, the direction of buoyant force is downward when the submarine is settled at the bottom of the sea and upward when it is lifted up by an external agent. In the first case, the force is applied from above the submarine and adds up to give a net force in the downward direction. In the second case, it is similar to when a body is fully inside a liquid. This question is related to a problem in the book that involves finding the percentage volume inside liquids of different relative densities for an object with a relative density of 2. There is a connection between this problem and the previous question about the direction of force applied by the liquid above an object partially dipped in the upper liquid.
vkash

Homework Statement

Consider a submarine inside an ocean. It's bottom is flat and upper portion is hemispherical. It is settled at the bottom of the sea. What should direction of Boyant force. Upward or downward? Now by the external agent the submarine is lifted a bit up. Now it is not touching the surface of the sea. What will be direction of boyant force in this case.

Homework Equations

upthrust is equal to weight of liquid displaced.
Mainly it is dF=P.dA.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the direction of boyant force(boyant doesn't seems to be correct word) in first case is in downward and in second case it is upward direction.
Am i correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well what is your reasoning?

JHamm said:
Well what is your reasoning?

Oh yes i have reasons
In short it is ∫P.dA.
In first case pressure is applied from above the submarine. Since force is perpendicular to surface so should sum up to give net force in downward direction.
In second case it's too long to explain. IT is similar in case when a body is fully inside liquid.

I post this question because it related to a question in my book that is something like this.
There are two immersible liquid of relative density 1.5 and 2.5. There is an object of relative density 2 What is percentage volume inside the liquid of relative density 1.5 & 2.5.

You're correct but I don't see how that problem helps you with your book's question?

JHamm said:
You're correct but I don't see how that problem helps you with your book's question?

Oh you did not found the link.
SO tell me what will direction of force applied by liquid above the object. that is partially dipped in upper liquid as i have presented in first example.

Do you have any good method to solve this question?(question is in my last post)

So you have two bowls with a liquid in each with relative densities of 1.5 and 2.5 each and you drop an identical object in each one and you want to find how much of the object sits below the surface of each liquid?

Related to Working with archimedes principle.

What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

How is Archimedes' principle used in science?

Archimedes' principle is used to determine the buoyant force on an object and therefore its ability to float in a fluid. It is also used in various engineering applications, such as determining the stability of ships and designing submarines.

What is an example of Archimedes' principle in action?

A common example of Archimedes' principle is when a boat floats on water. The weight of the boat is equal to the weight of the water it displaces, allowing it to stay afloat.

How can Archimedes' principle be applied to real-life situations?

Archimedes' principle can be applied to real-life situations in many ways, such as designing flotation devices, understanding the behavior of ships and submarines in water, and even determining the density of objects.

What are the limitations of Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle assumes that the fluid is incompressible and the object is completely submerged in the fluid. It also does not take into account surface tension or the shape of the object, which can affect the buoyant force. Additionally, it only applies to objects in a uniform gravitational field.