Working on evaluating an 'e' equation to find the domain of an equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary: So, depends on what you are looking for.In summary, by taking the natural logarithm on both sides of the equation $1 \neq e^{1-x^2}$, we can simplify it to $0 \neq 1-x^2$. This means that the equation has two solutions, $x = 1$ and $x = -1$. Therefore, the domain of the equation is all real numbers except for $x = 1$ and $x = -1$.
tmt1
Find the domain of the equation

$$1 \ne e^{1-x^2}$$

Is there a way to evaluate this function?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
$$1 \ne e^{1-x^2}$$

Hint: take $\ln$ on both sides.

Btw, this is not a function nor an equation. It's called an inequality.Moderator's note: I have moved part of your title to your opening post.
Please put all relevant information in your post and do not put part of the question only in the title.

tmt said:
Find the domain of the equation

$$1 \ne e^{1-x^2}$$

Think about $e^x$. When does it take the value $1$? Can you use this?

I like Serena said:
Hint: take $\ln$ on both sides.

Btw, this is not a function nor an equation. It's called an inequality.Moderator's note: I have moved part of your title to your opening post.
Please put all relevant information in your post and do not put part of the question only in the title.

so

$$ln1 \ne ln{e ^{1 - x^2}}$$

which goes to

$$0 \ne 1- x^2$$

which means

$$x \ne 1$$

Is this right?

You have missed the case of $x = -1$. Note that $\log$-ing both side (which you have done correctly (Yes)), you get

$$0 \neq x^2 - 1$$

Note that $x^2 - 1$ has TWO solutions : $x = 1$ and $x = -1$. Thus, $x \neq 1$ AND $x \neq -1$

PS : I presume you were asked to find real $x$s? If not, there are also a lot of cases you are missing. For example, if $x = \sqrt{1+2\pi i}$ then $\exp(1-x^2) = 1$.

Related to Working on evaluating an 'e' equation to find the domain of an equation

1. What is the purpose of evaluating an 'e' equation?

The purpose of evaluating an 'e' equation is to determine the domain of the equation, which is the set of all possible input values that will produce a valid output. This is an important step in solving and understanding mathematical equations.

2. How do you evaluate an 'e' equation?

To evaluate an 'e' equation, you need to substitute the variable with different values and see if the equation produces a valid output. The domain of the equation will be the set of all the values that produce valid outputs.

3. Can an 'e' equation have an infinite domain?

Yes, an 'e' equation can have an infinite domain. This means that there is no upper or lower limit to the values that can be substituted into the equation.

4. What is the significance of 'e' in an equation?

'e' is a mathematical constant that represents the base of the natural logarithm. It is approximately equal to 2.71828 and is commonly used in mathematical equations involving growth and decay.

5. How does the domain of an 'e' equation affect its graph?

The domain of an 'e' equation determines the range of values that can be plotted on the graph. An infinite domain means that the graph will continue indefinitely in both the positive and negative directions. A limited domain will result in a graph with a specific range of values.