Work related to graph of physics derivations

In summary, creating a graph in physics derivations serves the purpose of visually representing the relationship between two variables and aiding in understanding, analysis, and prediction. The variables to plot on a graph are chosen based on the experiment or problem being studied, with a focus on cause and effect relationships and including both independent and dependent variables. The most commonly used graphs in physics derivations are line graphs, bar graphs, and scatter plots, each serving a different purpose. To interpret a graph, one must analyze the variables, shape, and direction, and use it to draw conclusions and make predictions. A graph can also be used to determine the accuracy of an experiment by comparing the data to expected values.
benno
I'm working on creating graphs of derivations in physics and am searching for prior work in this area. As an example, I've posted pictures of the graph of Euler's equation
https://physics-equations-graph.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/euler_equation_trig_sqrd_no_labels.png
and for the simple harmonic oscillator
https://physics-equations-graph.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/simple_harmonic_oscillator_no_labels.png
(right click on link and save as to download picture -- direct link doesn't seem to work.)

The idea is that a derivation is composed of equations and descriptions of how the equations are related. I'm calling the equations "statements" (red ovals in the pictures) and the relations between statements "grammatical rules" (red trapezoids in the pictures). I expect there are a finite number of these grammatical rules. One of the goals of my project is to enumerate these grammatical rules.

The problem I would like to resolve is how this project relates to prior work. I'm not sure what has already been done by others, which is why I started from scratch and am inventing jargon. There seems to be an overlap with physics, math, and possibly linguistics. However, I've found no references in any of these areas.

Somewhat related is the work being done with OpenMath but this only applies at the "statement" level.
Computer algebra systems can be used to verify individual "grammatical rules," but that is the limit of their usefulness.

Please let me know if you have suggestions for related work. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your project and seeking input from the community. It sounds like you are working on a very interesting and unique project in the field of physics. I am not aware of any prior work specifically on creating graphs of derivations in physics, but there are a few areas that may be related to your project.

First, there is a branch of mathematics called "graph theory" which deals with the study of graphs and their properties. This may be a useful area to explore as it may provide some insights and tools for creating and analyzing your graphs of derivations.

Secondly, there is a field of physics called "graph theory in physics" which explores the application of graph theory in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. This may be a relevant area to look into for inspiration and potential connections to your project.

In terms of linguistics, there is a concept called "dependency grammar" which is used to analyze the relationships between words in a sentence. This may also have some overlap with your project, as you are looking at the relationships between equations in a derivation.

Lastly, as you mentioned, OpenMath may be a useful resource for your project as it deals with representing mathematical objects and their relationships in a standardized way. However, as you noted, it may not fully encompass the scope of your project.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and provide some direction for your research. Best of luck with your project!

Related to Work related to graph of physics derivations

1. What is the purpose of creating a graph in physics derivations?

The purpose of creating a graph in physics derivations is to visually represent the relationship between two variables. This can help to better understand and analyze the data, as well as make predictions and draw conclusions.

2. How do you choose the variables to plot on a graph in physics derivations?

The variables to plot on a graph in physics derivations are typically chosen based on the experiment or problem being studied. It is important to choose variables that have a cause and effect relationship, and to include both independent and dependent variables.

3. What types of graphs are commonly used in physics derivations?

The most commonly used graphs in physics derivations are line graphs, bar graphs, and scatter plots. Line graphs are used to show the relationship between continuous variables, bar graphs are used to compare discrete data, and scatter plots are used to show the relationship between two continuous variables.

4. How do you interpret a graph in physics derivations?

To interpret a graph in physics derivations, you must first examine the variables being plotted and their units. Then, analyze the shape and direction of the graph to determine the relationship between the variables. Finally, use the graph to make predictions and draw conclusions about the data.

5. Can a graph be used to determine the accuracy of an experiment in physics derivations?

Yes, a graph can be used to determine the accuracy of an experiment in physics derivations. By comparing the data points on the graph to the expected or theoretical values, one can identify any discrepancies and assess the level of accuracy in the experiment.