Work-Energy Theorem: Solving for Speed of a Model Car

In summary, the work-energy theorem states that the speed of a moving object is proportional to the sum of the forces applied to it. In this problem, the car was subjected to a force in the x-direction and the work done was found using the work-energy theorem.
clope023
[SOLVED] Work-Energy Theorem

I'm sorry that I do seem to require quite a bit of help, but sometimes when the formulas just aren't working for me I get desperate.

Homework Statement

A force is applied to a 2.5kg- radio-controlled model car parallel to the x-axis as it moves along a straight track. The -component of the force varies with the x-coordinate of the car as shown in the figure .Suppose the model car is initially at rest at x=0 and [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] is the net force acting on it.

YF-06-32.jpg

Use the work-energy theorem to find the speed of the car at =3.0.

Homework Equations

W = K2-K1

W = Fx

K = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(2N)(3m) = 1/2(2.5kg)v^2

6J = 1/2(2.5kg)v^2

12J = 2.5kgv^2

12J/2.5kg = v^2

[tex]\sqrt{12J/2.5kg}[/tex] = v

v = 2.2m/s wrong

another try

W = [tex]\int[/tex]Fx = x^2/2 from x=0 to x = 3

so 9/2 = 1/2(2.5kg)v^2

[tex]\sqrt{9/2.5}[/tex] = v, v= 1.9 wrong

I keep rearranging all the formulas with the information they've given me and still nothing, any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first attempt at the solution, re-examine the definition of Work.

Does 2N*3m accurately represent the work done?

Remember, Work is not simply F*x rather:

[tex]W=\int_{x_1}^{x_2} F\cdot dx[/tex]

What does the integral represent on the curve? Check your math on the second try.

h2oski1326 said:
In your first attempt at the solution, re-examine the definition of Work.

Does 2N*3m accurately represent the work done?

Remember, Work is not simply F*x rather:

[tex]W=\int_{x_1}^{x_2} F\cdot dx[/tex]

What does the integral represent on the curve? Check your math on the second try.

units of work = Joules = Newton-meters don't they?

and that integral would mean it's still force (2Newtons) multiplied by (x2 - 3meters) right?

I think to hammer home the point he was trying to make, look at that integral, carefully

In the case where F is not a function of x and is in the same direction as dx(like it is in this problem so don't worry about that), it's a constant and comes out of the integral, so you're just integrating 1*dx, which is x, so you get the familiar F*x

HOWEVER, in this case you actually have a F that varies with position. Oh noes an integral you must solve? Not necessarily, remember, what IS an integral? You have a function F(x), if I integrate between two points what is that result?

So basically 2*3 would give you the work done if the force had been 2 Newtons the entire time. But it's not

blochwave said:
I think to hammer home the point he was trying to make, look at that integral, carefully

In the case where F is not a function of x and is in the same direction as dx(like it is in this problem so don't worry about that), it's a constant and comes out of the integral, so you're just integrating 1*dx, which is x, so you get the familiar F*x

HOWEVER, in this case you actually have a F that varies with position. Oh noes an integral you must solve? Not necessarily, remember, what IS an integral? You have a function F(x), if I integrate between two points what is that result?

So basically 2*3 would give you the work done if the force had been 2 Newtons the entire time. But it's not

so it would be 2 integrals than, one at points from x = 0 to x =2 and then one from x = 2 to x = 3 correct?

so the work would be 5 joules?

so it would be 2 integrals than, one at points from x = 0 to x =2 and then one from x = 2 to x = 3 correct?

Exactly

Not so exactly. You don't actually need to work a single integral here, so long as you remember what an integral IS, really. In general if I give you an the integral from x=a to x=b of f(x), you're going to get a number for the solution. This number is the _____ ____ the ____

Once you find the correct work I believe the rest of the problem you worked correctly

clope023 said:

check your math again.

It would be helpful if you wrote out exactly what you are doing to calculate the integrals. It is possible to use the figure to easily calculate these values. What can integrals be used to represent...something about area...

blockwave = the number is the antiderivative of the derivative?

h2oski1326 said:
check your math again.

It would be helpful if you wrote out exactly what you are doing to calculate the integrals. It is possible to use the figure to easily calculate these values. What can integrals be used to represent...something about area...

integrals represent the area under a curve, the first curve being from x=0 to x=2, and then from 2 to 3.

I'm thinking the functions are wrong, the first function from x=0 to x=2 would just be x, so the first integral would be

F(integral from x=0 to x=2) xdx = x^2/2 from x = 0 to x =2 and it would be 2(2^2/2) = 4

and the other integral there is no function so

F (integral from x=2 to x=3) dx = x from x = 2 to x =3 and it would be 2(3-2) = 2(1) = 2

2+4 = 6.

I'm not sure how to use the force as a changing force and not a constant one...

Oh soooo close

Exactly like you did it except I have no idea why you multiplied the first integral by 2 randomly.

It was exactly like you said, integral of x*dx from 0 to 2, which ends up being 4/2=2

For the second one you have the integral of 2*dx, so there's no function, you're correct, the force is just a constant, 2. So it's 2*integral(dx) from 2 to 3 which you found correctly as 2

2+2=4

Now for useful skill #394609 you're about to learn.

An integral is just an area under a curve, from x=0 to x=3 in that picture you have a triangle and a rectangle. The area of the triangle is just 1/2*base*height, so 2*2/2=2, and the rectangle is just 1*2=2. 2+2=4

blochwave said:
Oh soooo close

Exactly like you did it except I have no idea why you multiplied the first integral by 2 randomly.

It was exactly like you said, integral of x*dx from 0 to 2, which ends up being 4/2=2

For the second one you have the integral of 2*dx, so there's no function, you're correct, the force is just a constant, 2. So it's 2*integral(dx) from 2 to 3 which you found correctly as 2

2+2=4

An integral is just an area under a curve, from x=0 to x=3 in that picture you have a triangle and a rectangle. The area of the triangle is just 1/2*base*height, so 2*2/2=2, and the rectangle is just 1*2=2. 2+2=4

funny as I do harder and harder physics and calc I forget simple stuff like that, lol.

thanks, I'll let you guys know if I got the answer right in masteringphysics.

clope023 said:
blockwave = the number is the antiderivative of the derivative?

integrals represent the area under a curve, the first curve being from x=0 to x=2, and then from 2 to 3.

I'm thinking the functions are wrong, the first function from x=0 to x=2 would just be x, so the first integral would be

F(integral from x=0 to x=2) xdx = x^2/2 from x = 0 to x =2 and it would be 2(2^2/2) = 4

and the other integral there is no function so

F (integral from x=2 to x=3) dx = x from x = 2 to x =3 and it would be 2(3-2) = 2(1) = 2

2+4 = 6.

You have the right idea. However, your integration on the first section is incorrect.

[tex] W_{12}=\int_0^2 xdx=\frac{1}{2}x^2\mid_{0}^{2}=\frac{4}{2}=2[/tex]

blochwave said:
Oh soooo close

2+2=4

beat me to it!

Anyway, hope we have helped. The area under the curve 'trick' is very useful in introductory physics.

bump to this thread, would've posted last night but connection got messed up.

anyway, thanks a bunch on part a), but part B, which is the velocity at x=4, has me a little stumped, because I'm assuming there's no work because it went down to 0, but obviously it moved so it has to have some velocity.

I tried:

K2 = K1 + W1 = 4.05 + 4 = 8.05

1/2mv^2 = 8.05

mv^2 = 16.1
v^2 = 6.44
v = 2.5m/s but I got it wrong, anyone?

You're right that no work was done to it while the force was zero

You already found the speed at x=3 for part a, right?

So here you have something moving along at some speed, then you...do nothing to it, and want to know how fast it's going a meter later...

blochwave said:
You're right that no work was done to it while the force was zero

You already found the speed at x=3 for part a, right?

So here you have something moving along at some speed, then you...do nothing to it, and want to know how fast it's going a meter later...

I'm freakin' stupid, it's the same thing, lol.

now part C, I'm assuming they're 2 integrals, one from x=4 to x =6 and one from x=6 to x=7; with force -1 acting on the first integral and maybe 0 force acting on the second one, or could I just use the triangle formula again with 1/2*base*height = 1/2(-1)2 = -1?

problem is solevd, used integral from x=4 to x=6 with the function 1/x so got ln6-ln4 =
.405N as the force and used Newton's law to find the acceleration of the particle:

a = F/m = .405N/2.5kg = .162m/s^2

then used v2^2 = v1^2 + 2(a)(d) to get:

1.8^2 + 2(.162)(3) = 2.3, v = (2.3)^(1/2) = 1.5m/s

thanks for all the help!

Related to Work-Energy Theorem: Solving for Speed of a Model Car

1. What is the Work-Energy Theorem formula?

The Work-Energy Theorem formula states that the work done on an object by a force is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy.

2. How is the Work-Energy Theorem formula derived?

The Work-Energy Theorem formula is derived from the laws of motion and the definition of work as force multiplied by displacement.

3. What are the units of the Work-Energy Theorem formula?

The units of the Work-Energy Theorem formula are joules (J), which is the unit of work and energy in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can the Work-Energy Theorem formula be applied to both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem formula can be applied to both linear and rotational motion. However, the formula may need to be modified for rotational motion by considering the moment of inertia and angular velocity.

5. How is the Work-Energy Theorem formula used in real-world applications?

The Work-Energy Theorem formula is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the amount of work done by a machine, determining the speed of a moving object, and analyzing the efficiency of mechanical systems.