Work/Energy - Incline Plane w/ Friction

In summary, a 74.5 kg snowboarder heads down a 16° hill that has a height of 78.4 m. The attempt at a solution is to calculate potential energy at top and work done by wind, then subtract work done by wind from potential energy, and solve for final velocity.
De_Dre01

Homework Statement

A 74.5 kg snowboarder heads down a 16.0° hill that has a height of 78.4 m. If the hill is assumed to be frictionless and there is horizontal wind with a force of 93 N acting against the snowboarder, find the speed of the snowboarder as they reach the bottom of the hill using work and energy.

Homework Equations

W = FΔd
Ep = mgΔy
Ek = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I tried calculating potential energy at top:
[/B]
Ek = mgΔy
= (74.5)(9.8)(78.4)
= 57,239.84 J

Work done by wind:
W = FΔd
= (93N)(78.4/sin16.0°)
= 26,452.14753 J

Then, I subtracted work done by wind from potential energy, then used the kinetic energy to solve for final velocity.
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!
Can you explain why you used the sine of the angle when finding Δd?

MG10C15_003.png

Opposite = 78.4 m
Angle = 16.0°Solving for hypothenuse:
sin16° = 78.4/h
h = 78.4/sin16°

Is this not correct?

It's correct if Δd represents the distance along the slope. But, then, is the formula W = FΔd correct? What is the direction of the wind force?

Horizontal wind force opposing the skateboarder's motion.

So, the force of the wind is not parallel to the displacement Δd. How do you find the work when the force is not parallel to the displacment?

I must consider the incline plane, should I not?

Would I need to find the adjacent side?

Edit: Would the distance be 78.4/tan16?

In general, how do you find the work done by a force that is not parallel to the displacement?

W = FΔdcosθ.

Right. Can you apply that to this problem? What would you use for θ? Use a carefully drawn diagram.

74°?

No. What does θ stand for in the formula W = FΔdcosθ?

The angle between the Force and Distance. Would it be 16° because of the Z Pattern?

De_Dre01 said:
The angle between the Force and Distance.
Yes

Would it be 16° because of the Z Pattern? Or 90°
I'm not sure what you mean by the Z pattern. Did you draw vectors representing the wind force and the displacement? Does the angle between the force and the displacement look like it's less than 90o or greater than 90o?

I might be picturing the problem incorrectly. The wind would be directed west while displacement would be down the hill, correct?

Yes, if west means to the left in your figure back in post #3.

The angle would be less than 90 then.

When getting the angle between two vectors, you should draw the two vectors from the same point. That is, the "tails" of the vectors should be at the same point.

Even if you do that, can't you move the vector around and displace the tail of the second vector to the head of the first vector? Resulting in the same angle of 16°*?

I thought you could move the vector around. In that case, would the angle be 90+74°?

Yes, good.

So now I have:

W = FΔdcosθ
= (93N)(78.4)cos(164)
= -7008.75 J

Correct?

Why did you use 78.4 m for Δd?

Ok I calculated distance in the x by tan16 = 78.4/x now apply work formula?

OK. That should work (no pun intended). But what formula are you now going to use for the work?

Ahah. Got it now. Thanks, was really helpful.

Related to Work/Energy - Incline Plane w/ Friction

1. How does friction on an incline plane affect the work and energy required to move an object?

Friction on an incline plane opposes the motion of an object and converts some of its energy into heat. This means that more work is required to move an object up an incline plane with friction compared to one without friction.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of an incline plane and the amount of work and energy required to move an object?

As the angle of an incline plane increases, the amount of work and energy required to move an object up the plane also increases. This is because a steeper incline requires more force to overcome the force of gravity and move the object upward.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the work and energy required to move it up an incline plane?

The mass of an object does not affect the work and energy required to move it up an incline plane. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object is directly proportional to its mass, so the work done against gravity remains the same regardless of the object's mass.

4. What is the role of the coefficient of friction in calculating the work done on an incline plane with friction?

The coefficient of friction determines the amount of frictional force acting on an object on an incline plane. This force must be overcome to move the object, and the work done to overcome it is directly proportional to the coefficient of friction.

5. How does the work-energy theorem apply to an object moving on an incline plane with friction?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. On an incline plane with friction, the work done by the force of gravity and the work done to overcome friction result in a change in the object's kinetic energy, which can be calculated using the work-energy equation.