Work Done: Which Initial Velocity is Most Effective?

In summary, the man pulls a 100 kg block across a frictionless floor using a rope, and the direction of the initial velocity has no impact on the amount of work done.
vivekfan

Homework Statement

1) In which of the following situations is work done?

A man rubs his hands together and they get warm or the moon orbits the earth?

2) A man pulls a 100 kg block across a frictionless floor using a rope. The rope makes an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal and the man pulls with a force of 50 N. The block moves across the surface 20 m.

Assume the force acts for a time t. Assume the block has initial velocity v. Initial velocity in which direction would result in the greatest amount of work done on the block?

a) Initial velocity to the left
b)Initial velocity to the rightt
c)Initial velocity in either direction would result in the same amount of work done because distance traveled would be the same.
d)Initial velocity in either direction would result in the same amount of work done because the time t is constant.
e)none of the above.

Homework Equations

W=Fdcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I'm pretty sure the only work done is by the man rubbing his hands together, because it's work done by friction. The moon orbiting the Earth is a circular path, so the displacement would be tangent (or perpendicular) to the inward force, right? I'm not sure if my reasoning is correct.

For the second question, I'm pretty confused.

I don't understand what velocity has to do with work, given the equation, and I'm not sure what's really happening in the question with regard to forces. Please help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
vivekfan said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I'm pretty sure the only work done is by the man rubbing his hands together, because it's work done by friction. The moon orbiting the Earth is a circular path, so the displacement would be tangent (or perpendicular) to the inward force, right? I'm not sure if my reasoning is correct.

Yes, that's right.

For the second question, I'm pretty confused.

I don't understand what velocity has to do with work, given the equation, and I'm not sure what's really happening in the question with regard to forces.

Work and velocity are related via the work-energy theorem. The work [itex]W[/itex] done on the box is equal to the change in kinetic energy [itex]\Delta K[/itex] of the box. So...

[tex]W=\Delta K[/tex]

[tex]W=K_f-K_i[/tex]

[tex]W=\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2[/tex]

Tom Mattson said:
Yes, that's right.

Work and velocity are related via the work-energy theorem. The work [itex]W[/itex] done on the box is equal to the change in kinetic energy [itex]\Delta K[/itex] of the box. So...

[tex]W=\Delta K[/tex]

[tex]W=K_f-K_i[/tex]

[tex]W=\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2[/tex]

But what does this have to do with the direction of initial velocity?

Related to Work Done: Which Initial Velocity is Most Effective?

1. What is work done?

Work done is a measure of the amount of energy transferred by a force acting through a distance. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance over which it acts. The unit of work is joules (J).

2. How is work done related to initial velocity?

The initial velocity of an object is the speed at which it is moving at the beginning of a period of time. Work done is directly proportional to initial velocity, meaning that as the initial velocity increases, the work done also increases. This is because a faster initial velocity requires more energy to maintain.

3. Which initial velocity is most effective in getting work done?

The most effective initial velocity for getting work done depends on the specific situation and the type of work being done. In general, a higher initial velocity is more effective in getting work done, but this may not always be the case. Other factors such as the mass of the object and the force being applied also play a role in determining the most effective initial velocity.

4. How does work done change with different initial velocities?

As mentioned earlier, work done is directly proportional to initial velocity. This means that as the initial velocity increases, the work done also increases. Similarly, as the initial velocity decreases, the work done also decreases. This relationship holds true as long as all other factors remain constant.

5. Can work done be negative?

Yes, work done can be negative. This occurs when the force and the displacement are in opposite directions. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative because the force is actually doing work on the object, rather than the object doing work on the force. Negative work done results in a decrease in the object's energy.