Work done through linear expansion

In summary, an 8000kg aluminum flagpole with a length of 100m is heated by the sun from 10°C to 20°C. Using the linear expansion coefficient of 24*10-6/°C and the density of aluminum of 2.7*103 kg/m3, the work done by the aluminum can be calculated by using the formula W=PΔV, where V at 10°C is equal to 2.963m3. The flagpole grows by 0.024m due to the temperature change, and the coefficient of volume expansion has a simple relation to the coefficient of linear expansion. The resulting work done by the aluminum is 213 J.
LadyMario
An 8000kg aluminum flagpole 100m long is heated by the sun from a temperature of 10°C to 20°C. Find the work done (in J) by the aluminum if the linear expansion coefficient is 24*10-6 /°C. (The density of aluminum is 2.7*103 kg/m3 and 1 atm = 1.0*105 N/m2)

I know w=PΔV, and I know V at 10°C = mass/density= 8000/2.7*103 = 2.963m3

I know how much longer the flagpole grows: ΔL=αLΔT = 24*10-6(100)(20-10)=0.024m

But how does the volume at 20°C relate to the growth of the flagpole through linear expansion?

The answer is suppsoed to be 213 J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula for volume expansion? The coefficient of volume expansion has a simple relation to the coefficient of linear expansion.

TSny said:
Do you know the formula for volume expansion? The coefficient of volume expansion has a simple relation to the coefficient of linear expansion.

Yea I found it in the textbook. We were never taught it in class, so I was trying to find another way to do it, but oh well :P

Related to Work done through linear expansion

1. What is linear expansion?

Linear expansion is a physical phenomenon where an object increases in length when heated and decreases in length when cooled. This is due to the increase or decrease in the average distance between the atoms or molecules within the object.

2. How is work done through linear expansion?

Work is done through linear expansion when an external force is applied to an object that is undergoing expansion or contraction due to temperature changes. This force may either be used to maintain the original shape of the object or to stretch or compress it further.

3. How is linear expansion measured?

Linear expansion is measured by using a device called a linear expansion coefficient, which calculates the change in length of an object per unit of temperature change. This coefficient is unique to each material and is often expressed in units of length per temperature.

4. What are some practical applications of linear expansion?

Linear expansion has several practical applications in industries such as construction, engineering, and manufacturing. It is used in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures to ensure they can withstand temperature changes without significant damage. It is also utilized in the production of thermometers, thermostats, and other temperature-sensitive devices.

5. What factors can affect linear expansion?

The amount of linear expansion in an object can be influenced by various factors, including the material of the object, its shape and size, the temperature change, and the presence of external forces. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the material can also affect its linear expansion.