Work done on crate by the truck

In this case, the truck did work on the crate by accelerating it, so the work done can be calculated by finding the difference between the final kinetic energy (Kf) and initial kinetic energy (Ki) of the crate.
waldvocm
A truck carrying a 65.4kg crate accelerates from rest to 61.3km/hr on a flat horizontal surface in 15.2s The acceleration was not constant. HOw much work was done on the crate by the truck?

W=Kf-Ki

W=(1/2*65.4kg*220680000^2)-0

W=1.59e18

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow that's a very very fast truck. It's traveling at 0.7c!
Check your conversion of km/h to m/s again (I do have somewhat of an idea how you got that value). In any case, checking the order of magnitude of your answer often yields insights into possible careless errors in the working process.

opps! W=9481J Final answer!

Was I correct in choosing W=Kf-Ki for my equation in this problem?

waldvocm said:
Was I correct in choosing W=Kf-Ki for my equation in this problem?
Yes. Work done by an external force on a system increases the energy of the system.

Related to Work done on crate by the truck

What is meant by "work done on crate by the truck"?

The term "work done on crate by the truck" refers to the amount of energy transferred to the crate by the truck in order to move it from one location to another.

How is work calculated in this scenario?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the truck on the crate by the distance the crate is moved in the direction of the force. The unit for work is joules (J).

What factors can affect the amount of work done on the crate by the truck?

The amount of work done on the crate by the truck can be affected by the weight of the crate, the distance it is moved, and the force applied by the truck.

Is work done on the crate by the truck always positive?

No, work can be positive, negative, or zero. If the crate is moved in the same direction as the force applied by the truck, the work done will be positive. If the crate is moved in the opposite direction of the force, the work done will be negative. If the crate does not move, the work done will be zero.

How is work related to the crate's kinetic energy?

The work done on the crate by the truck will increase the crate's kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. This means that the crate will have more energy to continue moving after the truck has stopped applying force to it.