Work Done By Gases - Calculating Pressure, Volume & Heat

In summary: V is the change in volume.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the work done by a gas in a closed container with a piston, in an isobaric situation. The correct equation to use is W = P * change in Volume, with ΔV being the change in volume. The amount of energy added, 1200J, is the correct answer. Some confusion arises from research suggesting the use of W = PV, but the correct equation is W = P * change in Volume.
Timothy Schablin
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template used.>

Consider a gas in a closed container with a piston allowed to move. Let's start with a volume of 15 and pressure of 1.5. We add heat to the system, let's say 1200 J. This forces the piston to move increasing the volume to 40. The pressure remains the same, 1.5. When calculating the work done by the gas, how do we go about it?

W = P * change in Volume.

So, since the pressure remains constant, do we just take change in volume, 15 - 40 = -25?
Or 1.5(15-40)?
Or add in the heat to the system? (15-40) + 1200?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Timothy Schablin said:
do we just take change in volume, 15 - 40 = -25?
Volume increases. Change of volume is ΔV=40-15 (you did not say the unit).

Timothy Schablin said:
W = P * change in Volume.

So, since the pressure remains constant, do we just take change in volume, 15 - 40 = -25?
Or 1.5(15-40)?
W=p*ΔV not W=Δp*ΔV

apparently, the correct answer is the amount of energy added, or 1200J. This is an isobaric situation so I guess W=PV doesn't work?

All my research on the 'net points to W=PV though...

Timothy Schablin said:
apparently, the correct answer is the amount of energy added, or 1200J. This is an isobaric situation so I guess W=PV doesn't work?
What is the exact wording of the question and the analysis that led to this result?
Then I guess you have more research to do. Do you have an actual thermodynamics book?

Timothy Schablin said:

correct is ##W=p \cdot _\Delta V##

Related to Work Done By Gases - Calculating Pressure, Volume & Heat

1. What is work done by gases?

Work done by gases refers to the amount of energy transferred when a gas expands or contracts against an external pressure.

2. How do you calculate the work done by a gas?

The work done by a gas can be calculated using the equation W = -PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the external pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and work done by gases?

The work done by a gas is directly proportional to the external pressure. This means that as the pressure increases, the work done also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can work done by gases be negative?

Yes, work done by gases can be negative. This occurs when the gas is compressed and the external pressure is greater than the internal pressure, resulting in a decrease in volume and a negative value for work.

5. How is heat involved in calculating work done by gases?

Heat is involved in calculating work done by gases through the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat transferred to the system minus the work done by the system.