Work Done by Friction on 17.7 kg Block: Find Magnitude

In summary, there was a conversation about finding the work done by the force of friction on a 17.7 kg block that was dragged over a rough surface by a constant force of 187 N. The block was displaced 46.5 m and the coefficient of kinetic friction was 0.199. One method was to use the equation W=(mu)(mg)cos(theta) and the other was to use a free body diagram. The correct answer was found to be -647.52 J after correcting an arithmetic error.
Idividebyzero
1. A 17.7 kg block is dragged over a rough, hor-
izontal surface by a constant force of 187 N
acting at an angle of angle 33.6 above the
horizontal. The block is displaced 46.5 m and
the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.199. Find the magnitude Work done by the force of friction

2.W=F*D
W=(mu)(mg)cos(theta)

3. I have already correctly solved the work done by the applied force at angle 33.6 above the horizontal via (187N)(46.5m)(cos(33.6)) = 7240 (sig figs). However the next question regarding the work done by the force of friction for some reason has me quite ticked off. I solve basically the same way however the friction acts opposite the force of motion makings its value negative. the question specifically calls for its magnitude not its direction so took its absolute value. W=F*D yeilds F=(muk)(mg) where mg is the normal force. making work W=(mu)(m)(g)cos(180). my thoughts on the angle is that the only component of the applied force the force of friction acts opposite to is the, in my axis, the positive x direction. opposite of 0 degrees is 180 causing the value to be negative. the answer is incorrect. Solving the same equation minus the cos(theta) is wrong. :(

edit: i used a free body diagram

Physics news on Phys.org
ive also thought it through like this:

W(fric) = -f(fric) d = - (mu) (normal force) (d)
= -(mu)(mg - F sin@)(d)
W(fric) = - (0.199)(17.7 kg x 9.8 m/s/s - (187N)(sin 33.6) ) (46.5m)
= -(0.199)(69.976)(46.5)
= -2599.845 J

but is incorrect.

I got-
mu(mgcos(33.6)) * 46.5

Idividebyzero said:
ive also thought it through like this:

W(fric) = -f(fric) d = - (mu) (normal force) (d)
= -(mu)(mg - F sin@)(d)
W(fric) = - (0.199)(17.7 kg x 9.8 m/s/s - (187N)(sin 33.6) ) (46.5m)
= -(0.199)(69.976)(46.5)
= -2599.845 J

but is incorrect.
This looks like a correct method.

I get that -(0.199)(69.976)(46.5) = -647.52 J

Check your arithmetic.

SammyS said:
This looks like a correct method.

I get that -(0.199)(69.976)(46.5) = -647.52 J

Check your arithmetic.

thanks a bunch it was the arithmetic that killed me. i calculated the net work on the object as it was the next question using the 647.xx as the frictional work and the answer was correct. i made a mistake in my math... now to find where

Related to Work Done by Friction on 17.7 kg Block: Find Magnitude

1. What is friction and how does it affect work done on a block?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. When a block is moving, friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing the block to slow down. This affects the work done on the block because some of the energy is lost due to friction.

2. How is the magnitude of friction determined?

The magnitude of friction is determined by the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of how much the surfaces in contact resist sliding past each other. It also depends on the normal force, which is the force exerted by one surface on the other perpendicular to their contact.

3. How is work done by friction calculated?

The work done by friction can be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance over which it acts. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is the force of friction, and d is the distance.

4. Is the work done by friction always negative?

Yes, the work done by friction is always negative because the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of motion. This means that the work done by friction takes energy away from the system and dissipates it as heat.

5. How is the work done by friction related to the speed of the block?

The work done by friction is directly related to the speed of the block. As the speed increases, the work done by friction also increases because the block is moving over a greater distance. This means that more energy is lost due to friction when the block is moving faster.