Work done by force acting on a spring

In summary: I am sorry, I do not understand. Please provide more context.In summary, the conversation discusses a horizontal mass-spring system with a mass attached to a spring and a wall. The system experiences various forces, including a normal force, weight, spring force, and force exerted by the wall. The question is raised about the work done by the wall on the spring, and it is determined that the work done by the wall is zero since the point of application of the force does not move. However, there is a contradiction as the spring is at rest and should have zero net work done on it, but one force (D) is doing work on it. The concept of net work done and net force is discussed, and it
The objective is an energy balance or accounting.

(It's not a trick 'onest guv)

I'm merely observing that we can (I think) say that the mass has potential energy due to the elastic energy stored in the spring and thereofe the pull exerted by the spring.

This is eventually transferred to the mass as kinetic energy when it oscillates and forms the energy of the oscillation ie that which is transferred back and fore between KE and PE.

I want to end up by observing that the force F does work on the mass, which in turn does work on the spring when pulled out so the net energy of the mass does not increase when it has reached a stop at the maximum s1

Physics news on Phys.org
Studiot said:
The objective is an energy balance or accounting.

(It's not a trick 'onest guv)

I'm merely observing that we can (I think) say that the mass has potential energy due to the elastic energy stored in the spring and thereofe the pull exerted by the spring.

This is eventually transferred to the mass as kinetic energy when it oscillates and forms the energy of the oscillation ie that which is transferred back and fore between KE and PE.

I want to end up by observing that the force F does work on the mass, which in turn does work on the spring when pulled out so the net energy of the mass does not increase when it has reached a stop at the maximum s1
I prefer to say that the system (really the spring) has potential energy, not just the mass. (For the same reason I think it is misleading to talk about the gravitational PE of a mass--it's really the PE of the mass-earth system.)

The force F does work on the system. The mass essentially transmits the force to the spring, which gets spring PE as it is stretched. When the mass is allowed to oscillate, the spring and mass exchange energy.

I don't see the issue. (Or how it relates to the OP's concern.)

it's really the PE of the mass-earth system.)

Yes that's true enough.
Thanks for your patience.