Work done by an Electric Field Clarification

In summary, the work done by an electric field on a positive charge moving against the field is negative, expressed as W = -qV. However, from the perspective of the field, the work is positive. For a negative charge, the work done by the electric field is positive when moving against the field and negative when moving towards the field. The equation W = -qV still holds, but it is important to consider the direction of the displacement and the applied electric field force. Overall, the sign of the work done by the field depends on the direction of the displacement and the perspective from which it is being viewed.
hulkster1988
Hi,

I'm trying to conceptualize the idea of work done by an electric field, can someone let me know if my reasoning is right?

For a +ve charge, if it is moved against the electric field, the Electric Field does -ve work (W=-PE = -qV = (-)(+)(-))

For a -ve charge, however, if it is moved against the electric field (i.e.e to an area of higher electrical potential), the work done by the electric field must be +ve since PE=qV, and q is -ve, V is +ve, and thus PE is -ve. However, since Work by the field=-PE, the work must then be positive.

My reasoning for moving the negative charge is the one I'm kind of iffy about, since one might think moving a charge against the field would imply that work done by the field is negative.

However, since a negative charge has a tendency to spontaneously move towards an area of higher potential, it makes sense that moving towards an area of lower potential (i.e. against the Electric field lines) means work done by the field is positive.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
hulkster1988 said:
For a +ve charge, if it is moved against the electric field, the Electric Field does -ve work (W=-PE = -qV = (-)(+)(-))
Yes, but you could have written it as W = qV where V is the positive potential difference and the minus sign is due to the fact we are looking from the perspective of the field and not the amount of work we must do to move the charge.

For a -ve charge, however, if it is moved against the electric field (i.e.e to an area of higher electrical potential), the work done by the electric field must be +ve since PE=qV, and q is -ve, V is +ve, and thus PE is -ve. However, since Work by the field=-PE, the work must then be positive.
Yes, again like above, the work done is W = -q(V), which is negative from perspective of an external force. From the field perspective, it then doing positive work.

My reasoning for moving the negative charge is the one I'm kind of iffy about, since one might think moving a charge against the field would imply that work done by the field is negative.

However, since a negative charge has a tendency to spontaneously move towards an area of higher potential, it makes sense that moving towards an area of lower potential (i.e. against the Electric field lines) means work done by the field is positive.
That is true for positive charges, but not for negative charges. Just think about whether you'll have to exert any force to make the negative/positive charge move towards or away from a region of higher/lower potential. If the displacement of the charge is opposite to the direction of applied electric field force, then the field is doing negative work on it. Just keep in mind the mathematical definition of work done by a force and you'll understand it.

i think that, for W=-q (delta V)

holds for, charge moved from higher potential to lower, or from lower to higher, CONSIDERING THAT THE FIELD IS DOING THE WORK.

If the Field does work in moving the charge away. (to a lower potential) then its clear that the work is positive , since the electric force and the distance moved are in the same direction.

This fact is also confirmed by ur W=-q(delta V)

because here (Delta V) will be negative and the two minuses will cancel each other and we are going to be left with positive work

Related to Work done by an Electric Field Clarification

1. What is meant by "work done by an electric field"?

Work done by an electric field refers to the amount of energy transferred from the electric field to a charged particle as it moves through the field. This work is typically measured in joules (J) and is equal to the force exerted by the electric field on the charged particle, multiplied by the distance it moves in the direction of the field.

2. How is work done by an electric field calculated?

The work done by an electric field can be calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is work (measured in J), F is the force exerted by the electric field (measured in newtons), and d is the distance the charged particle moves in the direction of the field (measured in meters).

3. What factors affect the work done by an electric field?

The work done by an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the electric field, the magnitude of the charge on the particle, and the distance the particle moves through the field. A larger electric field or charge, or a longer distance, will result in a greater amount of work being done.

4. How is the work done by an electric field related to potential energy?

The work done by an electric field is directly related to the change in potential energy of a charged particle as it moves through the field. As the particle moves, it gains or loses potential energy depending on the direction of the electric field. The work done by the field is equal to the change in potential energy.

5. Can the work done by an electric field be negative?

Yes, the work done by an electric field can be negative. This occurs when the charged particle moves in a direction opposite to the direction of the electric field. In this case, the force and the displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work.