Work done by a non-reversible heat engine

In summary, the conversation is about a theoretical heat engine with two chambers separated by a heat-conducting barrier. The right chamber has a smaller number of moles of gas and a small piston attached to it, while the left chamber has more moles of gas. The set-up suggests that heat would flow from the left chamber into the right chamber, causing the gas to expand and do work by raising the piston. The transformation is isobaric, and the question is whether the final temperature of the two gases will be the same as it would have been without the piston. The speaker believes that the final temperature should be lower due to the work being done, but is seeking confirmation from others.
wil3
Hello. I have a question about a theoretical heat engine I recently encountered in my coursework:

The setup is two chambers, one with more moles of a gas than the other, separated by a heat-conducting barrier. The right chamber has a small piston attached to it and is at a lower temperature.

The right chamber also has less moles of gas than the other. Presumably, heat would flow from the isochoric left chamber into the right chamber, causing the gas to expand isobarically and do the work of raising the piston.

I am certain that the transformation is isobaric, and my teacher has confirmed this in class notes. My question is whether the final temperature of the two gases will be the same as it would have been if the piston were not there and the systems were attached and the right one was isochoric.

I know that the right chamber does work, but for some reason I feel as if this does not affect the final temperature. Can anyone confirm?

Science news on Phys.org
If work is done, the final temperature has to be lower. The energy transferred as work has to come from somewhere.

Related to Work done by a non-reversible heat engine

1. What is work done by a non-reversible heat engine?

The work done by a non-reversible heat engine is the amount of energy that is converted from heat to mechanical work. This is typically measured in joules and is a result of the engine's efficiency in converting heat energy into work.

2. How is work done by a non-reversible heat engine different from a reversible heat engine?

A reversible heat engine is able to convert all of the heat energy into work, while a non-reversible heat engine can only convert a portion of the heat energy. This results in a lower efficiency and less work being done by the non-reversible heat engine.

3. What factors affect the work done by a non-reversible heat engine?

The efficiency of a non-reversible heat engine is affected by factors such as the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of working fluid, and the design and materials of the engine. These factors can all impact how much heat energy is converted into work.

4. Can the work done by a non-reversible heat engine be increased?

In theory, it is possible to increase the work done by a non-reversible heat engine by improving its efficiency. This can be achieved through design modifications, using more efficient materials, or by reducing losses in the engine's components. However, there will always be a limit to the amount of work that can be done by a non-reversible heat engine due to the second law of thermodynamics.

5. How is the work done by a non-reversible heat engine used in practical applications?

The work done by a non-reversible heat engine is used in various practical applications, such as power generation in power plants, transportation in vehicles, and refrigeration and air conditioning systems. In these applications, the heat energy is converted into work to power machines and devices, making them essential in our daily lives.