Word problem with exponential and quadratic models

In summary: From what you've learned in math class, were you aware that, if y = ax2+bx+c represents the equation for a parabola, the roots of the equation ax2+bx+c =0 is where the parabola crosses the x-axis (in two places), the maximum point of the parabola is at the average of the two roots. The sum of the two roots is -b/a.
Serious Max

Homework Statement

a6nQNvO.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Confused with (d) a little.

Rocket explodes at ##h=3.85262 ## miles

## -16t^2+1400\sin(\alpha)t=3.852624*5280##

## \alpha=\arcsin\left(\dfrac{3.852624*5280+16t^2}{1400t}\right) ##

But what do I do from here? Looks a bit complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What formulas do you know for working with parabolas?

You'll need one of these formulas to help you. The vertex formula, possibly? The quadratic formula is another possibility. The derivatives, but you probably aren't doing that yet.

Would you be more specific? I don't exactly know how to implement vertex formula here. The graph of this rational function is a kind of hyperbola but with a vertex, kind of like a mix of a hyperbola and parabola. But I don't have tools to finding such a vertex.

At what altitude h is the pressure p = 10 psi? This is the altitude at which the rocket will explode.

Chet

You already have the altitude that the rocket will explode at, that's good. Though you will obviously want to get that in feet, given that the rest of the problem works in feet. You also have a formula for the altitude the rocket will take after t seconds as a function of t and α, so also good. What you basically need to do is find what the maximum of this function can be. The maximum will be a function of sin(α), which you can then find the angle from.

Before I continue, though, do you know any particular methods to finding the maximum* of a quadratic function?

*: Or minimum, if the function has a positive t^2 coefficient. But this one's negative, so it's a maximum.

maxpancho said:
Would you be more specific? I don't exactly know how to implement vertex formula here. The graph of this rational function is a kind of hyperbola but with a vertex, kind of like a mix of a hyperbola and parabola. But I don't have tools to finding such a vertex.

Well, the function ##y(t)## is a parabola. I think it helps to draw it and figure out what you need. And ways of getting that information.

I'm not certain what you are graphing to get the hyperbola. It sounds like you already have all the information you need already. You just need to put it together to describe the parabola -- and then you will have alpha.

From what you've learned in math class, were you aware that, if y = ax2+bx+c represents the equation for a parabola,
1. The roots of the equation ax2+bx+c =0 is where the parabola crosses the x-axis (in two places)
2. The maximum point of the parabola is at the average of the two roots.
3. The sum of the two roots is -b/a

Chet

Last edited:

Related to Word problem with exponential and quadratic models

1. How do you solve a word problem with exponential and quadratic models?

To solve a word problem with exponential and quadratic models, you need to first identify the variables and their relationships. Then, you can use the corresponding equations for exponential and quadratic functions to set up and solve the problem. It is important to pay attention to units and interpret the results in the context of the problem.

2. What is the difference between an exponential and a quadratic model?

An exponential model represents a relationship where the output variable changes by a constant factor over a given input variable, while a quadratic model represents a relationship where the output variable changes by a constant amount squared over a given input variable. In other words, an exponential model has a constant rate of change, while a quadratic model has a changing rate of change.

3. Can you use both exponential and quadratic models in the same word problem?

Yes, it is possible to use both exponential and quadratic models in the same word problem. For example, a word problem may involve a situation where a quantity is growing exponentially at a certain rate, but is limited by a quadratic function representing a maximum capacity.

4. How do you determine which model to use in a word problem?

The model to use in a word problem depends on the type of relationship being represented in the problem. Exponential models are used for situations involving growth or decay, while quadratic models are used for situations involving maximum or minimum values. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine which model is most appropriate.

5. Can you graph exponential and quadratic models together?

Yes, it is possible to graph exponential and quadratic models together. However, the resulting graph may not be visually clear or easy to interpret, especially if the models have significantly different rates of change. It is recommended to graph each model separately for a better understanding of their individual behaviors.