Word problem find equations then solve

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a certain amount of money saved at a certain interest rate yields $19.36 in interest. If the principal is increased by $66 and the interest rate is decreased by 3%, the interest remains the same. The conversation then goes on to discuss the equations used to solve for the principal and interest rate, with the final solution being a principal of $176 and an interest rate of 0.11.
synergix

Homework Statement

A certain amount of money saved for 1 year at a certain annual interest rate(simple interest) yielded 19.36$ in interest. if we had added $66 to the principal and reduced the interest rate by 3 percentage point(s), the interest would have been the same, Find the principal and the rate.

Homework Equations

(1)$19.36= PR
(2)$19.36=(P+$66)(R-0.03)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved (1) for P then substituted that into equation (2)and I got a complex answer so I must have incorrectly formed the equations any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I solve those equations I get a real answer which seems reasonable too. You must have incorrectly manipulated them.
Can you try typing out your calculation? If you don't spot the error while typing it, we might be able to help you find it.

Ok here you go.

first I solved (1) for R
R=19.36/P
Then I put that into (2)
19.36=(P+66)((19.36/P)-0.03)
(19.36=19.36-0.03P+1277.76/P-1.98)P
19.36P-19.36P=-0.03P-1.98P+1277.76
Then I divided by -0.03

0=P^2+66P-42529

and I found my mistake... when I used the quadratic formula and multiplied -4ac I kept it negative and therefore ended up with a large negative square root and an imaginary answer D'oh
THX!

P=176 r=0.11

Related to Word problem find equations then solve

1. How do I approach solving a word problem?

When faced with a word problem, the first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Identify the given information and what is being asked for. Then, try to translate the words into mathematical equations or expressions.

2. How do I find the equation in a word problem?

To find the equation in a word problem, look for key words and phrases such as "sum", "difference", "product", or "ratio". These can help you determine which mathematical operation is needed. Also, pay attention to relationships between variables and use them to form equations.

3. What do I do after I have found the equation in a word problem?

After finding the equation, you need to solve it for the unknown variable. This might involve simplifying, factoring, or using algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination. Be sure to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. What if the word problem has multiple equations?

If a word problem has multiple equations, you may need to use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination to solve for the unknown variables. Be sure to carefully label your equations and keep track of which variables correspond to which equations.

5. How do I know if my solution to a word problem is correct?

To check the accuracy of your solution to a word problem, substitute the values into the original equations and see if they satisfy the conditions of the problem. You can also try using estimation or a graphing calculator to visualize the solution and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.