Woman gets 363 million Euro social security money

In summary, a 39-year-old woman discovered that 363 million Euros had been transferred to her bank account. The money is being returned to her because a city worker made a mistake.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I my newspaper the other day :biggrin:.. a 39 year old woman had to rub her eyes when she looked at her account balance: an amount of 363 million Euros had been transferred to her account, underneath it said 'corrective transfer action', the money is being returned to her. Turned out that a cityworker had made a mistake when doing a social security transaction and instead of transferring 45 Euros to the bankaccount, the bankaccount number itself got transferred :eek:

363 million Euros..

Physics news on Phys.org
I say: Grab it and straight to the Bahamas! :biggrin:

Geeze, even I would have sent a nice thank you note, taken the money (assuming, naturally, that the government does not make mistakes) and taken off to some tropical island, after getting a new identity, of course. :-p

I know! 363 million euros should buy a nice new identity :wink:

But really, I thought stuff like that only happened in dreams or in movies :cool:
It's here, on the Metro frontpage http://www.clubmetro.nl/content/acrobat/amsterdam/NLAMS_20040415_A_Metro.pdf?PHPSESSID=584497aa96bc85f665314dca95798b82

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
But really, I thought stuff like that only happened in dreams or in movies :cool:
It's here, on the Metro frontpage http://www.clubmetro.nl/content/acrobat/amsterdam/NLAMS_20040415_A_Metro.pdf?PHPSESSID=584497aa96bc85f665314dca95798b82

Dutch is not my strength (but it looks funny for a german-talker :smile: )

Tja, where there are people working there are made mistakes. I've seen something similar in an association I'm a member of: one day the bank made a crediting of about 400'000 Swiss francs (maybe 300'000 Euro) onto the association account:smile: ...But they detected the mistake right the next day :frown:

Monique said:
I know! 363 million euros should buy a nice new identity :wink:

Wow, thanks for the article Monique! :confused: :-p

kuengbe, that was hysterical! :biggrin:

Yes, thanks for the article :biggrin: Who knew speaking Dutch would have a use on an international physics forum one day?

With that kind of money...I would start thinking which country I wanted to take over :cool:
I believe it is possible to rent Lichtenstein for a few days. I wonder how much it would cost to buy it.

Related to Woman gets 363 million Euro social security money

1. What is the story behind the woman receiving 363 million Euro in social security money?

The woman received the money after a long legal battle with the government. She claimed that she was owed the money due to years of unpaid social security benefits.

2. How did the woman manage to receive such a large amount of money in social security benefits?

The woman's case was unique and involved complex legal arguments. She was able to prove that she was entitled to the money and the court ruled in her favor.

3. Is this amount of social security money typical for a single person to receive?

No, the amount of social security benefits a person receives is based on their individual circumstances. This case is not representative of the typical amount received by most individuals.

4. What impact does this decision have on the social security system?

This decision does not have a widespread impact on the social security system. It is a unique case and does not set a precedent for future cases.

5. Will the woman have to pay taxes on the 363 million Euro she received?

It is likely that the woman will have to pay taxes on the money she received. Social security benefits are considered taxable income, and the amount she received is significantly higher than the average social security benefit amount.