Witnessing Colorful Interference Patterns with a Benham Top

In summary, the reason for seeing colors when spinning a Benham top is not fully understood, but it may have to do with the reaction times of vision cells on our retinas and the neurological processes involved. It is not caused by the interference of different photons and cannot be precisely described by physics. Further research and analysis may provide more insight into this phenomenon.
cragar
When i spin a benham top why do i see colors ,
Is this because of the dashed black lines , that i am now pulsing white light , so now the white light is out of phase and the red , green , yellow photons are interfering so i see colors ,
Is this is what is going on .

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
When i spin a benham top why do i see colors ,
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benham%27s_top" , nobody knows for sure.
Is this because of the dashed black lines , that i am now pulsing white light , so now the white light is out of phase and the red , green , yellow photons are interfering so i see colors , Is this is what is going on .
No, it's not. Different photons don't interfere with each other. You are confusing the effect of the probability function of a photon taking multiple paths interfering with itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok then what's going on , i know it as something to with pulsing white light so my brain will see colors .

someone has to know something about a benham top .
we are just spinning something with black and white on it .

From a quick search, it seems that precise reasons are not known, but it may have to do with the reaction times of vision cells on our retinas.

For example, cells that detect red may have a slighly different reaction time than cells that detect blue. In this case, the various white light pulses would be time-resolved by the nerve cells.

But apparently, different people see different colors at diffrent areas and times, so I believe this is mostly a neurological issue, beyond what can be precisely described by physics.

Perhaps someone could measure the reflection spectra with a spectrum analyser. I suspect no colors would be detected, other than the original white.

Related to Witnessing Colorful Interference Patterns with a Benham Top

1. What is a Benham Top?

A Benham Top is a spinning disk with black and white concentric circles that create colorful interference patterns when spun at a high speed.

2. How does the Benham Top create colorful interference patterns?

The black and white concentric circles on the Benham Top create a visual illusion known as the "Benham's top effect." This is caused by the interaction of the light waves with the cones and rods in our eyes, creating the perception of color.

3. What causes the interference patterns to change colors?

The interference patterns change colors due to the different wavelengths of light being reflected off of the spinning disk. When these wavelengths mix and overlap, they create new colors that our eyes perceive as changing patterns.

4. What is the scientific explanation behind the Benham's top effect?

The Benham's top effect is still not fully understood by scientists, but it is believed to be related to the phenomenon of "subjective color." This means that the perception of color is created in our brain rather than being a physical property of the object we are looking at.

5. Are there any practical applications for the Benham's top effect?

While the Benham's top effect is mostly used for entertainment and optical illusions, it has also been studied in the field of neuroscience. It has been used to study the visual cortex and how our brains process color and motion. It is also used in some medical tests to assess visual perception and potential vision impairments.