With This Integral. Not Home Work Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving arctan and expanding tan(A+B). A formula for expanding tan(A+B) is mentioned and the question of how the person who solved the problem knew to use it is raised. It is suggested that the solution was most likely created by the person who set the problem, starting with the sum of the three arctans and applying the tan(A+B) expansion twice to the numerator.
scottshannon

Homework Statement

Actually I have the problem solved but I do not understand how the numerator becomes equal to the denominator in the 3rd step.

Homework Equations

I have been looking for an identity for arctan but can't find one that seems to match.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt has been to derive a trig identity for arctan (A/B). I found this: arctan[(A+B)/(1−AB)]=arctanA+arctanB
11728904_1612678222353409_6704107955787942157_o.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier to work the other way. Use trig identities to simplify ##\tan(\arctan 3x + \arctan 2x + \arctan x)## and show it's equal to ##\frac{6x(1-x^2)}{1-11x^2}##.

Hmmm...ok...how do you do that?

scottshannon said:
Hmmm...ok...how do you do that?
Do you know a formula for expanding tan(A+B)?

yes I do...I have practiced deriving it...

here we are dealing with arctan though

scottshannon said:
yes I do...I have practiced deriving it...
So apply it to tan(arctan3x+arctan2x+arctanx)

scottshannon said:
here we are dealing with arctan though
Just think of arctan(whatever) as angle A.

Thank you...I can expand tan (A+B) to tan (A+B+C).
What I don't understand is how did the young man who solved the problem know how to do it the way he did?

scottshannon said:
Thank you...I can expand tan (A+B) to tan (A+B+C).
What I don't understand is how did the young man who solved the problem know how to do it the way he did?
Please clarify: are you now saying that you can see the two are equal, but you don't understand how anyone guessed that they might be?
If the solution was created by the person who set the problem, it probably went the other way about. They started with the sum of the three arctans, in numerator and denominator, then applied the tan(A+B) expansion twice to the numerator only to disguise the equivalence.

Related to With This Integral. Not Home Work Problem

What is a "With This Integral" problem?

A "With This Integral" problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the integral of a given function. Integrals are used to find the area under a curve or to solve for unknown functions.

What is the purpose of solving "With This Integral" problems?

The purpose of solving "With This Integral" problems is to understand the relationship between a function and its derivative. It also allows for the calculation of areas and volumes in calculus.

What are some common techniques for solving "With This Integral" problems?

Some common techniques for solving "With This Integral" problems include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to choose the appropriate method based on the form of the given function.

What are some tips for successfully solving "With This Integral" problems?

Here are some tips for successfully solving "With This Integral" problems: 1) Familiarize yourself with the different integration techniques and when to use them. 2) Pay attention to the limits of integration and make sure they are included in your final answer. 3) Check your work by differentiating your answer to see if it matches the original function.

What are some real-world applications of "With This Integral" problems?

Integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some real-world applications include calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to find displacement, determining the volume of a solid object, and solving optimization problems in economics.