Winterize truck with steel plate?

In summary: The weight of the plate would be too much for the rear end of the truck to handle in a crash, so you would need to secure it to the bed with a bolt or cable.
martman
Hi

Kind of a random question, I know, I just think this is a great place to get a answer.

Anyway, I have a single cab pickup truck. So of course I have a very light back-end, to compensate for this in the winter for more traction I have been putting in a solid steel plate my Dad bought ages ago. Now I'm wondering exactly how safe is this(for say being rear-ended).

The plat fits between my wheel wells and covers most of the bed and is about 1inch thick. The claim is that it weights about 600 pounds but in general my Dad's estimates are horrible. Considering the size and how well it works I think he might be right.

So any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you put a 1/4 ton steel blade unsecured in the back of a vehicle that you are quite likely to crash in the bad weather?

Did you see the scene in "the omen" ?

Perhaps some sand bags might be as effective and not lead to you featuring on the Darwin awards

Its secured with steel cable to 4 points in the bed. Don't know why you think I'm "quite likely to crash in the bad weather"...

Guess my real concerns deal with the back (fire?) wall and how secure those bed connections are. Maybe tomorrow I figure out where those 4 tie down loops goto(just the bed, frame, etc).

I used to carry a live load in the bed of my pickup when I spent a lot of time on Maine roads. Sand was the best. If I got a bit "stranded", I could shovel a nice bed of sand in front of my wheels and get out. Never had to get towed.

Forgot to address the bumper too. I haven't seen many pickups rear-ended(in real life or in pictures), but all that didn't involved big rigs seems to fair surprisingly well from what I've seen.

turbo-1 said:
I used to carry a live load in the bed of my pickup when I spent a lot of time on Maine roads. Sand was the best. If I got a bit "stranded", I could shovel a nice bed of sand in front of my wheels and get out. Never had to get towed.
Good point, I used cat litter to the same effect.

Evo said:
Good point, I used cat litter to the same effect.
Lighter and easier to spread than sand.

martman said:
Don't know why you think I'm "quite likely to crash in the bad weather"...
Sorry should have said - more likely to crash in bad weather

Either you skid, hit something, stop suddenly and the steel plate doesn't - so going forward through anything soft and squishy in the cab.

Or somebody else skids and hits you - pushing the steel plate forward ...

in my old mustang years ago, i "sandbagged" the hatch area with about 80-100 lbs of scrap lead. it fit nicely down there where the spare is kept.

i think with a big heavy plate, the best option would be to bolt it down. friction would then take care of most of the horizontal forces. and butt it up against the front of the bed, so it can't get a running start.

martman said:
Its secured with steel cable to 4 points in the bed. Don't know why you think I'm "quite likely to crash in the bad weather"...

Guess my real concerns deal with the back (fire?) wall and how secure those bed connections are. Maybe tomorrow I figure out where those 4 tie down loops goto(just the bed, frame, etc).
In a wreck, I don't recommend it. Why not go with sand?

We used to put a 1' x 1' x 6' concrete block in the back of our van in winter, helped a load.

If your spare wheel is underneath the rear, replace it with a second fuel tank of the same dimension = approx 130-170 liters. Mount the spare on swing mount on rear. (see aus. 4x4).
if this is not enough weight catch a bus

martman said:
Hi

Kind of a random question, I know, I just think this is a great place to get a answer.

Anyway, I have a single cab pickup truck. So of course I have a very light back-end, to compensate for this in the winter for more traction I have been putting in a solid steel plate my Dad bought ages ago. Now I'm wondering exactly how safe is this(for say being rear-ended).

The plat fits between my wheel wells and covers most of the bed and is about 1inch thick. The claim is that it weights about 600 pounds but in general my Dad's estimates are horrible. Considering the size and how well it works I think he might be right.

So any thoughts?

If you've a 4'x8' bed, a 1" steel plate of density 7.9 g/cm^3 would weigh roughly 1,315 lbs. Using this as a guide, simply figure out what percentage of a full 4'x8' bed you might have (cutouts for length, width, and wheel wells) and multiply the percentage by 1,315 lbs to find your plate's mass.

personal ref: calcs in /documents

Last edited:
The approach here in Canukville is to load on a quarter-tonne or so of sandbags. They're great for overall traction, but can also be opened up and spread around your tires if you get caught on glare ice.

Danger said:
The approach here in Canukville is to load on a quarter-tonne or so of sandbags. They're great for overall traction, but can also be opened up and spread around your tires if you get caught on glare ice.
I used the build-your own method of sandbagging. Go to a horse-owner and snag some empty grain bags (for strength) and line them with plastic trash-can liners (to keep the sand nice and dry). Here, the town highway departments generally let residents take a reasonable amount of sand for personal use in the winter. Much safer than concrete blocks, steel plates, or similar missiles.

turbo-1 said:
I used the build-your own method of sandbagging. Go to a horse-owner and snag some empty grain bags (for strength) and line them with plastic trash-can liners (to keep the sand nice and dry). Here, the town highway departments generally let residents take a reasonable amount of sand for personal use in the winter. Much safer than concrete blocks, steel plates, or similar missiles.

I have a geographical advantage there. Burlap bags can be found lying about in fields all over the place, and sand is as near as your shovel. :biggrin:

Related to Winterize truck with steel plate?

What is the purpose of winterizing a truck with a steel plate?

The purpose of winterizing a truck with a steel plate is to protect the truck's undercarriage from corrosion and damage caused by salt, slush, and other winter road conditions. The steel plate acts as a barrier between the truck's undercarriage and the road, preventing rust and other types of wear and tear.

How does a steel plate help to winterize a truck?

A steel plate acts as a protective shield against salt, slush, and other types of road debris. It also helps to distribute the weight of the truck more evenly, reducing the risk of damage to the undercarriage. Additionally, the steel plate can provide insulation, keeping the truck's engine and other components warmer in colder temperatures.

What type of steel is used for winterizing a truck?

Typically, a high-quality, rust-resistant steel such as stainless steel or galvanized steel is used for winterizing a truck. These types of steel are durable and can withstand harsh winter conditions without corroding or rusting. They are also relatively lightweight, making them ideal for use on trucks.

Can a steel plate be used on any type of truck?

Yes, a steel plate can be used on any type of truck, including pickup trucks, commercial trucks, and even larger vehicles like semi-trucks. The size and thickness of the steel plate may vary depending on the truck's weight and intended use, but it can generally be customized to fit any type of truck.

Is it necessary to remove the steel plate after winter?

No, it is not necessary to remove the steel plate after winter. In fact, leaving the steel plate on year-round can provide ongoing protection for the truck's undercarriage. However, if the steel plate becomes damaged or worn, it should be replaced to maintain its effectiveness in winterizing the truck.