Windows Sofware To Graph Electric Field Lines ?

In summary: We used MATLAB to find the coordinates of each point charge and to plot the electric field lines. The software will not be able to graph electric field lines if the data is not collected in a similar way as what was used in the experiment.
iamhumble
Windows Sofware To Graph Electric Field Lines ??

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of any Windows software out there that will graph electric field lines? I recently did a physics lab where I determine point charges of some "x-rays" and from the data I gathered I need to graph the electric field lines.

If there is no software available does anyone know how to do this with Excel or any other type of software?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica will work. There is an inexpensive student edition available as well. There is a learning curve, though.

Berkeman,

Thanks.

I will dload the trail version and try to figure it out. I need to turn in my lab in tomorrow.

What kind of data did you collect? (I'd like to know.)

The coordinates of a point in the plane (or in space) together with (say) a value and direction of maximum potential difference to a nearby point at fixed separation? How many data points did you collect?

If you just collected a handful of data points, it's going to be hard to draw a nice diagram of the field lines... at best, you could get a few electric field vectors.

If your data is comparable to the above, you could quickly (and cheaply!) write a program using http://vpython.org/ using the http://vpython.org/webdoc/visual/arrow.html.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is example of the data I collected.

In the attached ZIP file there is an excel file ( let me know you can't read the excel file ) where it list some data points.

Any blank cells represent a null point of where a design was.

In the experiment, we used a voltmeter to determine the volt charge of each point charge on a xray like sheet. Each xray like sheet had a design on it.

Attachments

• excel.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 206

Related to Windows Sofware To Graph Electric Field Lines ?

1. What is the purpose of using Windows software to graph electric field lines?

The purpose of using Windows software to graph electric field lines is to visualize and better understand the behavior of electric fields. It allows scientists to analyze and manipulate data in a user-friendly and interactive way.

2. What types of data can be graphed using Windows software for electric field lines?

Windows software for electric field lines can graph a variety of data, including point charges, electric dipole moments, and electric field vectors. It can also simulate the effects of multiple charges and complex electric field configurations.

3. Is Windows software for electric field lines user-friendly for non-experts?

Yes, most Windows software for electric field lines is designed to be user-friendly and accessible for non-experts. Many programs offer easy-to-use interfaces and tutorials to help users get started.

4. Can Windows software for electric field lines be used for educational purposes?

Yes, Windows software for electric field lines is often used in educational settings to help students visualize and understand electric fields. It can also be used for demonstrations and experiments in physics classes.

5. Are there any limitations to using Windows software for electric field lines?

While Windows software for electric field lines can be a powerful tool, it may have limitations in accurately representing complex real-world situations. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of the software being used.