Wind Speed & Heat: Is There a Constant?

In summary, when a candle is burning, the heat from the flame causes the air around it to rise, which creates convection currents. This is why the wind speed rises when the candle is lit. However, there is no simple relationship or formula for calculating this.
Stevenyzs
I'm currently working on a project about wind speeds, and have come across a roadblock due to my limited knowledge... So I really hope you guys can help me out.
When you light a campfire or candle, the heat from the flames cause the air around it to rise, which leaves a "vacuum" for colder surrounding air to rush in towards the flame, causing convection currents.
I only know that the wind speed rising from the flame increases with the temperature of the fire. So here's the question, is there a known constant for this proportional relationship? Or is there an overall fluid dynamics formula for this question?

Science news on Phys.org
Cold air rushes in, not because the hot air rises and leaves a "vacuum", but because of the difference in density between the hot and cold air. An example you might be more familiar with is a helium balloon, a lighter object moving upwards in more dense air. In both cases, the less dense hot air and the helium balloon, rise due to the forces resulting from bouyancy. The same reason wood floats in water.
Wiki, as usual, gives an explanation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

256bits said:
Cold air rushes in, not because the hot air rises and leaves a "vacuum", but because of the difference in density between the hot and cold air. An example you might be more familiar with is a helium balloon, a lighter object moving upwards in more dense air. In both cases, the less dense hot air and the helium balloon, rise due to the forces resulting from bouyancy. The same reason wood floats in water.
Wiki, as usual, gives an explanation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy
Oh, I see. Thanks for pointing it out :) Then what about fans? How do they move air? I read the explanation in wiki but I still don't understand...

Fans 'push' air , the blades are at a slight angle so push the air through.

A burning candle creates an area around the wick where gases are less dense so there is a buoyancy effect , which creates an upward flow.

In zero gravity there's no buoyancy effect so this does not happen. a candle burns much more slowly, the wick receiving new oxygen only by diffusion, through the gaseous combustion products, which hang around the wick.

IF we lived in a world where hot gases were more dense, then the candle flame and combustion gases would travel downwards, melting the candle, and making a mess...rather awkward...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look up natural convection you may get an idea about the original question regarding describing the phenomena. The bottom line is that no, there isn't any simple relationship or formula, though you may be able to come up with something half-decent with a few semi-legitimate assumptions.

Related to Wind Speed & Heat: Is There a Constant?

1. What is the relationship between wind speed and heat?

The relationship between wind speed and heat is complex and can vary depending on various factors such as location, time of day, and weather patterns. Generally, higher wind speeds can contribute to a decrease in temperature, as the movement of air can disperse heat and bring in cooler air. However, in certain situations, high wind speeds can also contribute to an increase in temperature, such as in the case of a warm, dry wind known as a foehn wind.

2. Is there a constant correlation between wind speed and heat?

No, there is not a constant correlation between wind speed and heat. As mentioned, the relationship can vary and is influenced by many factors. Additionally, wind speed and heat may not always have a direct correlation, as other variables such as humidity and cloud cover can also impact temperature.

3. How does wind speed affect the heat index?

Wind speed can have a significant impact on the heat index, which is a measure of how hot it feels to the human body. Higher wind speeds can increase evaporation and cooling of the skin, making it feel cooler than it actually is. On the other hand, low wind speeds and high humidity can make the heat index feel much hotter, as there is less evaporation and cooling of the skin.

4. Can wind speed affect the distribution of heat?

Yes, wind speed can affect the distribution of heat. As wind moves air and heat, it can help distribute warm air to cooler areas and vice versa. This can help regulate temperature and prevent extreme variations in different areas. However, other factors such as topography can also play a role in the distribution of heat.

5. How does wind speed impact the formation of heat waves?

Wind speed can play a significant role in the formation of heat waves. In many cases, heat waves occur when there is a high-pressure system in place that stagnates the air and prevents it from moving. This can lead to a buildup of heat and create extreme temperatures. However, strong winds can help break up these high-pressure systems and prevent the formation of heat waves.