Will You Be Watching the Perseid Meteor Shower?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary: Whilst in the States, I saw an amazing Perseid shower. It was a very slow one, and it looked like it lasted for at least a second.
Front range, 0200-0300 MDT, spotted a couple dozen (no camera). Even got one so bright it made me blink.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Astronomy news on Phys.org
We were out from about 12:40 to 2:20 and it was marvelous :smile:. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and we probably saw about 30-40, including 7-8 really long, bright ones that rolled across the sky relatively slowly.

Likes Fervent Freyja, 1oldman2 and davenn
Moon was pretty bright

but had a good time
we live in rural Ozarks on a small lake so grandkids and i floated out to the middle on inner tubes
moon was bright but we saw several really nice long trails, one showered sparks across about twenty degrees nearly overhead.

What they enjoyed most though was the neighborhood bats sometimes flying by just arm's length away. Nobody suffered a single mosquito bite.

Likes 1oldman2, davenn, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
Lucky for me I should be able to see them from my back porch right overhead! No need to drive anywhere, just sitback relax and gaze into the night sky

I was assuming that the show was basically over for this year, but I just went to shut an upstairs window (at 9.45pm local time) and happened to look out - and saw a very bright Perseid, visibly slowing down at the end, leaving a trail for a few moments. That was from indoors with some lights on! So I went outside for another look, but came in after a few minutes without having seen any more.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Pepper Mint
I counted 11 before heavy cloud cover rolled in and remained until I gave up 2 hours later. I was tickled with each one, but it hadn't been enough! My little girl couldn't stay awake long enough to watch them and make her own wishes. She did see a few months back though.

If she's going to know that you had seen some, you could give her some (unused :wink:) wishes from yours.

Likes Fervent Freyja and ProfuselyQuarky
Fervent Freyja said:
My little girl couldn't stay awake long enough to watch them and make her own wishes. She did see a few months back though.
I really wish she saw them, Freyja, but I'd have a hard time staying up on a normal day, too, to be honest. Excitement and a nicely tuned ukulele, however, is better the caffeine :smile:.

Glad you were able to see some, though!

Likes Fervent Freyja
Had a fantastic night of viewing on Thursday (8/11); dozens of meteors all night long. I was able to capture a bunch with time-lapse photography, will post a video when I get a chance.

Likes Fervent Freyja and ProfuselyQuarky
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Here's a link to my 8/11/16 timelapse:

I've been struggling with the various compressions that happen- the native size is 1600 x 1068 and looks great; I rescaled to 1280 x 720 for Youtube... Hope you like it!

Likes Dembadon, 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
Andy Resnick said:
Hope you like it!
Yes !
i clicked tool icon and selected 1/4 speed...

Andy Resnick said:
I've been struggling with the various compressions that happen- the native size is 1600 x 1068 and looks great; I rescaled to 1280 x 720 for Youtube... Hope you like it!
That's awesome! I like it a lot!

Thanks, everyone! Here's August 12:

Likes jim hardy and ProfuselyQuarky