Will u guys give some comments on the transactional interpretation?

In summary, the transactional interpretation is a mathematical explanation of the strange behavior of quantum mechanics based on the wave functions. It was developed by John Wheeler and Richard Feynman, and it works well even though it was originally proposed to explain things like quantum weirdness. However, the accelerating universe may affect the interpretation in a way that is not currently understood.
peter308
recently,i am having a report on the issue concerning the quantum interpretation,somehow,i choosed to read the transactional interpretation by prof cramer.i have complete about 60% of the studying,however,the deadline is coming closer(march 13th).as a result,the alternatives interpretations won't be viewed.
therefore,would u guys give some comments on the transactional interpretaion? moreover, comparing it with other interpretations will be gratefully appreciated!

best wishes!

Physics news on Phys.org
It says something like observers sending electromagnetic waves forward and backwards in time, if you receive an electromagnetic wave from the past, and accept it, you complete the "transaction" and send it back to the past. Not my favourite interpretation, I do not feel like I'm doing negotiations with my grand-grand-grandfather!

The transactional interpretation was certainly ingenious, but it looked a lot better a decade ago when people envisioned a "big crunch" in the future of the universe.

The idea is that quantum mechanics, and eleectromagnetism too, produce both "advanced" and "retarded" waves. Advanced waves, in the mathematics, propagate into the past, and retarded waves propagate into the future. Conventional physics just ignore the advanced waves as "unphysical", but John Wheeler and Richard Feynman took them seriously and developed a version of electromagnetism based on that.

Enter now John Cramer, who says, let the quantum wave functions, both retarded and advanced, propagate into the future and the past. And suppose that in both the far future and far past there are absorbers, that will reflect the waves. The one in the past is no problem, it's the big bang. And the cosmology of ten years or more ago foresaw a symmetrical big crunch end of the universe which could serve as the future absorber.

The reflected wave functions from past and future would then meet at the event that created them, and INTERFERE, yielding the collapse of the amplitude wave that we see in quantum experiments. Cramer worked through all the math and it came out even; it explained quantum weirdness on the basis of the mathematically classical wave functions.

I haven't seen Cramer's thoughts, or anybody else's for that matter, on how the accelerating universe affects the transactional interpretation. Can it be saved? Dunno.

thx a lot,dude
thumbs up!

Related to Will u guys give some comments on the transactional interpretation?

1. What is the transactional interpretation?

The transactional interpretation is a theory in quantum mechanics that explains the behavior of particles as transactions or exchanges of energy between an emitter and a receiver. It suggests that all possible outcomes of a quantum event are physically real and that the transactional nature of quantum interactions can explain the phenomenon of wave-particle duality.

2. How does the transactional interpretation differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The transactional interpretation differs from other interpretations such as the Copenhagen interpretation and the many-worlds interpretation in that it does not involve the collapse of the wave function or the existence of multiple parallel universes. Instead, it posits that quantum events are interactions between an emitter and a receiver, resulting in a transaction that creates a physical reality.

3. What evidence supports the transactional interpretation?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that supports the transactional interpretation. However, it has been used to successfully explain and predict various quantum phenomena, such as the double-slit experiment and quantum entanglement. Additionally, the transactional interpretation offers a more intuitive and concrete explanation of quantum mechanics compared to other interpretations.

4. Are there any criticisms of the transactional interpretation?

Yes, there are several criticisms of the transactional interpretation. Some argue that it is not a testable theory, as it does not make any unique predictions that can be verified through experiments. Others argue that it is a complex and convoluted way of interpreting quantum mechanics, and that simpler interpretations such as the Copenhagen interpretation should be favored.

5. How could the transactional interpretation impact our understanding of the universe?

If the transactional interpretation is proven to be a valid explanation of quantum mechanics, it could greatly impact our understanding of the universe. It would provide a more complete and coherent understanding of quantum phenomena, and could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as quantum computing and communication. It could also open up new avenues of research and shed light on the nature of reality and the fundamental laws of the universe.