Will my special siphon work please?

In summary, the conversation is about a drawing of a proposed system involving a compressed air chamber and water flow. The speaker wants to know if the system will work, but another person raises concerns about it being a perpetual motion machine. The conversation ends with the thread being locked and the original question unanswered.
Flantoons
Please look at this drawing of my idea, and tell me if you think it would work.
The compressed air chamber on the left keeps this system un-balanced, and water is continually forced up the tube, and into the right hand chamber.

pressure%20siphon.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, it will be forced up the tube -- but also since the pressure on the bottom of the tank on the left is higher than on the bottom of the tank on the right, it will also flow from left to right, filling up the tank on the right directly. So what's the point here: is this an attempt at a perpetual motion machine? FYI, we don't allow that here...

I think that at equilibrium the level in the tube should be the same as the level in the right tank.
Any reason for it to go higher?

OK, I see what you mean...I cave.

Likes berkeman
Since it looks like we'really done and I didn't get an answer to my question (so I assume the answer is yes), thread locked.

Related to Will my special siphon work please?

1. Will my special siphon work for all types of liquids?

It depends on the design and materials of your siphon. Some specialized siphons are designed for specific types of liquids, while others are more versatile and can work for a variety of liquids.

2. How do I know if my siphon is working correctly?

You can check for any leaks or obstructions in the siphon's tubing. Also, make sure that both ends of the siphon are at different levels, with the lower end placed in the liquid you want to transfer.

3. Can I use my siphon to transfer liquids between containers with different heights?

Yes, siphons work based on the difference in liquid levels, so as long as there is a difference in height between the two containers, the siphon should work.

4. Is there a limit to the amount of liquid my siphon can transfer?

The amount of liquid a siphon can transfer depends on its design and length. Longer siphons can typically transfer larger volumes of liquid, while shorter siphons may have a smaller capacity.

5. Do I need to prime my siphon before using it?

It depends on the type of siphon you have. Some siphons require priming, which means filling the tubing with liquid before starting the siphon. Others are self-priming and do not require this step.