Will most of the math be done on a computer?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: CPU. Therefore, if there were a sequence of multiply and divide operations, the CPU would have to wait until the last operation was complete and then start the next one.
Tyrion101
Just curious but how much math will I actually do say on a white board vs putting a few equations into something like excel?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Computers are faster and more reliable.
You can do unlimited number of equation using computers until it gets overheated..It will only take time and energy.

You can also do unlimited number of equations using a white board until you get bored and stop.It will also take your time and energy.

Depends. Most of my initial analysis is done on paper or a white board. Then it is all done with Matlab, Excel, or a specialized differential equation solver.

That said, it's tough to explore new designs with Excel... you need to be able to rapidly estimate mathematical relationships on paper or on a white board (if in a group) to be a good engineer.

adjacent said:
Computers are faster and more reliable.
You can do unlimited number of equation using computers until it gets overheated..It will only take time and energy.

You can also do unlimited number of equations using a white board until you get bored and stop.It will also take your time and energy.

But how do you know what equation to put into the computer?

Garbage in, garbage out.

You develop the algorithms on paper. You implement them and run them on the computer and then analyse the results. You might develop the algorithms on the computer, but it is just taking the place of paper.

You might develop a spreadsheet right on the computer, but, again, it is just taking the place of paper. Then you crunch the numbers.

The goal is to avoid "crunching numbers" on paper. Use the number cruncher.

A spreadsheet is only as useful as the brain that programmes it. It's fine if all you want to do is 'accounting' style calculations with totals of figures and to use available Functions but that is only half the job, if you are starting from scratch on a new bit of analysis. I have to admit that I often find myself plotting a graph of a function with Excel, when I want a Max, Min or zero crossing and I could have done it all symbolically. When I get an answer the Excel way, I have not helped my own understanding of how and why that function works (the Physics behind it, in many cases).
The Mathematica package goes further; it let's you write Analytical Functions and will do the simplifications, differentiations, integrations etc. for you - all symbolically. This is very good but someone actually programmed all those rules into Mathematica and, if you're not careful, you won't even be aware of the niceties of transformations, trig identities, Taylor Series. It will just be turning the handle and getting a result. A bit like SatNav journeys, when you get somewhere but have no idea how you got there. It really acts against your best interests, in many cases.

I'm so awkward with spreadsheets that i do such investigations in Basic.
It helps me keep that 'awareness' to which Sophie speaks above.

Ahhh memories... One interpreted Basic's ATAN function blew up on me - so i wrote a Taylor series for it.
A small step for mankind but a great one for me.

Just curly but could any of the higher math have a program written around the equation you came up with in say c++ or anything that compiles quickly?

Tyrion101 said:
Just curly but could any of the higher math have a program written around the equation you came up with in say c++ or anything that compiles quickly?

"Curly"? Was that a typo or auto-correct? I'm not familiar with it.

If you use any of the advanced packages, the numerical calculations are based on compiled processes and not crude, interpreted stuff. The Maths Co-pro in your computer will be accessed if there is one.

Excel is pretty clever but it can only do things cell - by - cell unless you call and use VBA routines. VBA has a pretty decent compiler afaik. But it's not the way to approach serious number crunching because it still looks at cells and that takes ages.

sophiecentaur said:
"Curly"? Was that a typo or auto-correct? I'm not familiar with it.

If you use any of the advanced packages, the numerical calculations are based on compiled processes and not crude, interpreted stuff. The Maths Co-pro in your computer will be accessed if there is one.

Excel is pretty clever but it can only do things cell - by - cell unless you call and use VBA routines. VBA has a pretty decent compiler afaik. But it's not the way to approach serious number crunching because it still looks at cells and that takes ages.

as a side note, prior to the math coprocessor multiply and divide operations was done by adding and subtraction. The coprocessor added a direct multiply and divide operand. The need to increase mathematical functions of a microprocessor also led to MMX (Matrix Math Extensions) which increases FPU, Floating point unit math functions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating-point_unit

the MMX term is a AMD trademark name. However its used by Intel as well. the instruction set can be found here.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...s-software-developer-vol-3a-part-1-manual.pdf

the other advances in CPU processing power is the addition of more than 1 ALU (algorithmic logic unit)

the 486 and previous CPU's could only process one math function or operand at a time, Pentium added more ALU's to their processors. The number depends on the make and model of the processor. This allowed multiple pipeline operations to be performed at the same time.

The program capability depends on how well the software is programmed to take advantages of the CPU's increased capabilities.

Last edited:

Related to Will most of the math be done on a computer?

1. What type of math can be done on a computer?

The type of math that can be done on a computer is virtually limitless. Computers are capable of performing basic arithmetic operations, as well as more complex calculations such as algebra, calculus, and statistics. They can also handle advanced mathematical concepts like linear algebra and differential equations.

2. Is it accurate to rely on computers for mathematical calculations?

Yes, computers are highly accurate when it comes to mathematical calculations. In fact, they are often more accurate than humans since they do not make mistakes or get tired. However, it is important to ensure that the input data and formulas are accurate to ensure the best results.

3. Can computers solve any mathematical problem?

While computers are incredibly powerful and can solve a wide range of mathematical problems, there are still some problems that are too complex for them to solve. These include problems that require creative thinking or reasoning, as well as those that involve uncertainty or randomness.

4. How do computers handle mathematical errors?

Computers handle mathematical errors by using error-checking algorithms and error-correcting codes. These methods help to identify and correct errors in calculations, ensuring that the results are as accurate as possible. Additionally, computers have the ability to flag potential errors and allow for manual intervention if necessary.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using computers for math?

While computers have greatly improved the speed and accuracy of mathematical calculations, there are some potential drawbacks. For instance, relying too heavily on computers for math can lead to a decrease in human problem-solving skills. Additionally, computers can sometimes produce incorrect results if the input data or formulas are incorrect.