Will biomedicine lead to master of biomedical engineering?

In summary, a degree in biomedicine primarily prepares students for clinical-scientist jobs in pathology, hematology, or genetics labs. To pursue a career in biomedical engineering, a background in engineering or applied physical sciences is typically required. The field of biomedical engineering involves designing and developing medical devices, such as pacemakers and imaging equipment. Demand for these devices drives the demand for professionals in this field, with opportunities in both mechanical and pharmacology/organic chemistry areas.
#neutrino
i'm currently enrolled in a degree in biomedicine, i want to know whether i can do a master in bio medical engineering , the employability of the field and what sort of content is there in such a degree ?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Biomedicine" is a rather broad term and so the program can vary considerably depending on the school. My understanding though is that generally these degrees are set up more to prepare students for clinical-scientist jobs working in say pathology, haematology, or genetics labs and as such the background tends to lean more towards the biochemistry realm of the sciences.

To get into biomedical engineering you generally need a degree that leans more towards the engineering or applied physical sciences realm. Most of the biomedical engineers I know came through undergrad as electrical engineering majors. That's not to say that you can't get in from other areas, but you'll have to look into specific programs that sound interesting now and look at what their admissions requirements are.

As to what's done in the field, it's another very broad area. Most of the biomedical engineers I know work in MRI, but that's not nearly the extent of the field. In general terms they design, build and develop medical devices, so that can include everything from pacemakers to artificial limbs to imaging equipment. So you can imagine that the field is going to depend on the demand for those devices, which is likely to be fairly steady in the long term.

Likes FactChecker
And I work mostly on the mechanical side of biomedical engineering, although I am starting to see some of the pharmacology/organic chemistry side as well. For the mechanical side, you get lots of people with a background in mechanical or chemical engineering, and for the pharma side mostly ChemE. This is a pretty broad field with lots to do.

Related to Will biomedicine lead to master of biomedical engineering?

1. What is biomedicine?

Biomedicine is a branch of medical science that focuses on the application of biological and physiological principles to clinical practice. It involves the use of advanced technology and techniques to diagnose, treat and prevent diseases and disorders.

2. What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering and medicine to design and develop medical devices, equipment, and software. It involves the application of engineering principles to solve problems in healthcare and improve the quality of patient care.

3. How does biomedicine contribute to the development of biomedical engineering?

Biomedicine provides the foundation for biomedical engineering by providing a thorough understanding of biological and physiological processes. This knowledge is essential in designing and developing medical devices and technology that are effective and safe for use in healthcare.

4. Will biomedicine lead to a master's degree in biomedical engineering?

Yes, biomedicine is a crucial component of biomedical engineering programs and is often a prerequisite for obtaining a master's degree in this field. A solid understanding of biomedicine is necessary for conducting research, designing medical devices, and developing new technologies in biomedical engineering.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a master's degree in biomedical engineering?

Graduates with a master's degree in biomedical engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical device companies, and research institutions. They can work as biomedical engineers, research scientists, medical device designers, or in regulatory affairs, among other roles.