Will an infinite plane of charge flux generate flux through itself?

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of flux and whether there would be any flux through a hole in an infinite plate of charge. The conclusion is that there would be no flux through the hole due to the symmetry of the electric field. The question is asked because the asker wants to know the answer.
ozone
I just have a quick question, and I'm guessing the answer is no but I wanted to make sure that this was sensible. In general whenever we consider flux we think of some kind of closed surface or a scenario where charge closes back on itself.

If I were to cut a hole in an infinite plate of charge, would there be any flux through that hole from the plate of charge? My guess is that we can take the limiting case as a pillbox on the hole shrinks, and we will see that no flux is entering or exiting (I think the net E-field ought to be 0 in the hole). However it doesn't make sense to me why anyone would ask this question then.

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field in the hole must be zero, yes. You can see that by symmetry arguments alone. Why would anybody ask that question? Because they want to know the answer, and so did you...

If the plate is part of a closed conducting surface, the E field in the hole will be E_0/2.

Related to Will an infinite plane of charge flux generate flux through itself?

1. How does an infinite plane of charge flux generate flux through itself?

An infinite plane of charge flux generates flux through itself because of the electric field produced by the charge. The flux is generated as the electric field lines pass through the plane of charge, creating a flow of electric charge.

2. What factors affect the amount of flux generated by an infinite plane of charge flux?

The amount of flux generated by an infinite plane of charge flux is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance from the plane, and the angle at which the electric field lines intersect the plane.

3. Can an infinite plane of charge flux generate flux through itself in all directions?

Yes, an infinite plane of charge flux can generate flux through itself in all directions. This is because the electric field lines extend infinitely in all directions, allowing for flux to be generated in any direction.

4. Is the flux generated by an infinite plane of charge flux constant?

No, the flux generated by an infinite plane of charge flux is not constant. The amount of flux varies depending on the distance from the plane and the angle at which the electric field lines intersect the plane.

5. How is the flux through an infinite plane of charge flux calculated?

The flux through an infinite plane of charge flux is calculated using the formula Φ=E*A*cos(θ), where Φ is the flux, E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the plane, and θ is the angle between the electric field lines and the plane.